Bristlenose Pleco Growth Rate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

missgingersnap

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do bristlenose plecos grow fast? I have a baby and I was wondering how long it takes for them to reach full size. Also, how can I tell if it's a boy or a girl? Thanks!

Boys will have ALOT of Bristles comming out of their face( hence the name). I don't know about growth rate, but I will find out soon( mine bred last week)

Well, it usually takes about 6 months for the bristles to start coming in (or is that "coming out?"). I've had my two for nearly a year and I think they've stopped growing. Or if they are still growing, it's deadly slow now and there's no way for me to see it. I do think my female grew larger than the male in what seemed like overnight. They were the same size for forever, and now you can tell which is the female just from the shadows, 'cause she's so much, well, thicker and wider.

I have a 6-month baby who's just over half the size of his parents, if that helps, lol. I guess the parents are about a couple inches, maybe more, but I'm terrible with judging size with just my eyes, and I have no clue where a ruler is, lol

Kribensis....congrats on yours breeding!
Thanks aussie dog. Mine doesn't have any bristles yet. I thought the guy at the LFS was lying and actually sold me a regular pleco. lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back