Bristlenose Cave Size

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Donna_G

Reaction score
Hiya, am wondering what size cave I need for my bristlenoses to spawn in. Have found slate caves on eBay but some seem very small!! My males about 4 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches wide (maybe a little less) he doesn't come on the glass much to be able to measure accurately.
Many thanks

Hiya, am wondering what size cave I need for my bristlenoses to spawn in. Have found slate caves on eBay but some seem very small!! My males about 4 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches wide (maybe a little less) he doesn't come on the glass much to be able to measure accurately.
Many thanks

It really doesn't matter unless it's for breeding purposes (basically to big a cave prevents the male trapping the female).... the above ones mentioned seem a little small, my rule of thumb is 1.5 times the length of the fish and width wise 1.5 times the width...... normally a 6"x 2" cave is sufficient

Great, thank you. Does it need to be a certain height? The caves I'm thinking of now are 15cm by 5cm by 3.5cm, is that enough or should I ask for 15cm by 5cm by 5cm?

Great, thank you. Does it need to be a certain height? The caves I'm thinking of now are 15cm by 5cm by 3.5cm, is that enough or should I ask for 15cm by 5cm by 5cm?

15x5x5 would probably be better just for the plec to dwell in, the 15x5x3.5 would be sufficient for breeding
good.gif

Wow!!! they like a tight fit then lol. 15x5x3.5 it is then, thanks(would put a smiley face but can't find where they are now lol)

Wow!!! they like a tight fit then lol. 15x5x3.5 it is then, thanks(would put a smiley face but can't find where they are now lol)

They would probably breed in most sizes but the tightest is just to ensure the male can trap the female without her trying to escape.... both of them sizes are suitable for breeding :).

Just to make sure, all these sizes quoted are internal dimension aren't they?

Ummm...that's a good question, I just assumed they were. I've placed my order already so fingers crossed!!

Fingers crossed lol ;)
While we're on the subject I was going to try to breed a couple King 333 plecos and had considered making a couple out of seasoned wood that I had on my land possibly white oak or red oak what's your thoughts on that? JenCliBee

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back