Brine shrimp/sea monkeys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JAYJT

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Brine shrimp/sea monkeys

I have just read a book which states that to hatch ‘brine shrimp’ you need the water to be aerated using a air pipe and air stone in a container of water of a temp of 18 - 24 c

I had some sea monkeys a few years back! Which I believe to be the same things! And I just put the eggs into cold tap water they hatched the next day and lived for ages even bred between them selves I think I had them for over a year topping the water up every now and again.

The question is : Are the eggs exactly the same from pet stores for tropical fish ,exactly the same as the packaged sea monkeys!? If so why do I need to aerate the water when I didn’t for the sea monkeys! Any thoughts on the matter???

I believe Sea Monkeys are the same thing. Aerating will increase the hatching yield, aquarium brine shrimp may be rated to give an approximate hatching yield such as 90 or 95%.

My method of hatching:

Dump the brine shrimp hatching kits!
Clean a mineral water bottle
Add water from tank into bottle and the amount of BBS eggs needed
Add salt and stir until salt is dissolved fully.
Try desperately to get the eggs off whatever you used to stir
Put an airstone into the bottle
Sit bottle in tank
Wait 1-2 days
Pour contents of bottle through a stocking stolen from girlfreind
Rinse stocking under tap
Pour jerky little shrimps into tank
Watch em disappear

I call it the DCAATPSWPRPW method to help me remember each step.

Ken

Brine is a little small for my fish as they get bigger and bigger, but for now they like em. Frozen is easier to get and cheaper by the amount too. I get em' in cubes. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back