Brief Introduction!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ajg6128

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Just a brief introduction to myself and tank I suppose.

Mainly I've got a 64L tank with 5 guppies in at the moment.

Looking to increase that number but playing it safe and slow keeping water good and fish happy.

Settled for a planted aquarium currently got plants for bottom of tank but looking to getting some floating plants too once somewhere local has them stocked, or possibly a purchase online depending on if they would survive the transport time or not.

Fairly new to the fish keeping experience but learning super quick by reading some of the threads others have shared.

Guess I'll give my thanks here to those in the future who will help me with any issues that may arise and a thanks to those who already have!

Welcome to the forum.

Unless they are coming from Mars and will take two years to get here, plants will survive the passage through the post. I have bought most of my plants online; they do fine and the choice is much greater than your LFS. I like to support LFS's but they don't do plants cheaply enough and I'm suspicious of their provenance having had many snail invasions as a result of eggs on new plants.

Ahh thanks seems I'll have to avoid buying Mars plants. Bummer. Glad I'll be able to buy plants online. Much cheaper than LFS and obviously a better stock! I've been told running plants under warm water is good for removing snail spawn but not put to the test myself yet.

Snails and plants just go hand in hand.  Some places mark their plants 'Snail-free', what that means is that the snails are provided at no additional cost.  

The best options for getting rid of snails on new plants are:

bleach dip
ammonia dip
copper sulfate dip

In all of the above cases, the plants would need to be extensively rinsed afterwards before placing them in your tank.  I'd suggest a minimum of 2 days of soaking in clean water with twice daily water changes to be safe (large volume of water compared to the size of the plants.
Personally though, I just expect the snails and remove them as necessary.

Yeah think I'll be removing them , more work but I'd prefer that to taking risks with dips. Lettuce soaked in warm water left in the tank overnight apparently brings them in so could try that once I start getting a few too many to see if it works!

I have hardly any now. Limit feeding and put in fish that will outcompete for algae. This keeps their numbers very low.

I had a bunch for a while, then I added a BN Pleco and he took care of the rest. The algae problem was gone, the snails ran out of food (I think he ate the eggs, not sure though), and I haven't had a problem since then.

I can post you off some water lettuce if you like? I only have assasin snails in the tank the lettuce is in.

That would be super awesome! Been looking at getting some for the tank. Love the way vines float downwards in the water. Going to get some Java moss for the bogwood after Christmas too. Waiting till it looks somewhat how I'd like before getting any pictures online though!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back