Brewster, He or She?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Brewster'sLife

Reaction score
I have had this fish for about a year. When I got it from my sister it was due to the fact that he/she had killed the mate and was picking on her guppies. For a year I assumed it was a male but have been questioning that due to how small the fins are. I would like to get a bigger tank and a mate but need to know what to get first. Please help! IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 83
It's got an orange throat which suggests a male, but the fins are also a good indicator. However your pearl gourami's fins are in a poor shape - even a female should have longer fins than this. It either has finrot which has eroded most of the fins, or they have been bitten away by other fish.
The fish needs to be kept in an appropriate sized tank with plenty decor, and daily water changes. If the fins don't start to improve, you could try adding salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons tank water - dissolve it in a bit of tank water first then pour it into the tank. If that fails, you may need to use some form of medication, though as you are not in the same country as me I'll have to leave it to someone else to suggest which medication to use.

Once the fins have regrown, we'll be able to say if it is a male or female.

Do as @essjay said and also try almond leaves they will help gourami regenerates quicker.

It's got an orange throat which suggests a male, but the fins are also a good indicator. However your pearl gourami's fins are in a poor shape - even a female should have longer fins than this. It either has finrot which has eroded most of the fins, or they have been bitten away by other fish.
The fish needs to be kept in an appropriate sized tank with plenty decor, and daily water changes. If the fins don't start to improve, you could try adding salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons tank water - dissolve it in a bit of tank water first then pour it into the tank. If that fails, you may need to use some form of medication, though as you are not in the same country as me I'll have to leave it to someone else to suggest which medication to use.

Once the fins have regrown, we'll be able to say if it is a male or female.
If they are damaged fins from previous tank mates would daily water changes still help or would adding the salt be more beneficial?

The leaves are put in the water, they release tannins (which will turn the water brownish) and other chemicals which are reputed to have beneficial effects. They float at first, then sink and should be left in the tank until they begin to disintegrate.

Water changes are often all that's needed. They help to keep any wound clean. But adding salts at the dose I gave will help as well. use aquarium salt or some other form of pure salt - table and cooking salt has anti caking agents added and I understand that iodate is also commonly added to table and cooking salt in the US so they shouldn't be used.

If the fins start to look worse, you'll need something to treat finrot - our American members will know which medication to use.

The leaves are put in the water, they release tannins (which will turn the water brownish) and other chemicals which are reputed to have beneficial effects. They float at first, then sink and should be left in the tank until they begin to disintegrate.

Water changes are often all that's needed. They help to keep any wound clean. But adding salts at the dose I gave will help as well. use aquarium salt or some other form of pure salt - table and cooking salt has anti caking agents added and I understand that iodate is also commonly added to table and cooking salt in the US so they shouldn't be used.

If the fins start to look worse, you'll need something to treat finrot - our American members will know which medication to use.
Thank you!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back