Breeding

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So ...

I have decided I would like to breed a good feeder fish.

Idea being a breeder is when the population grows too large I have a little buddy who will eat them if out of control.

I thought about the challenge of neon tetra's I have read they are hard to breed. Anyone with experiance?

Anyone had any good results?

What would be helpful is knowing any successes other people have had and what conditions they require to breed.

I know I am being Vage but right now I am up for most things.

Limitations = 22 Gallon tank, small enough to be eaten by a 6 inch Piranha in 1 mouthful.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Please.
 
Thank you ... Can platies be kept with other people and still be in a breeding enviroment?
 
Yes, you can watch them, so long as there are plants and things to hide in. Keep the adults well fed so they don't attack their fry.
 
I agree Jourdy, more meat on platies

Holly
 
Does the platies lay eggs? Nest or live bear?

Also how big does a platy get?

Can you just have a group of them or do you need to isolate a breeding pair?

Do the parents eat the young?

Do they have special enviromental requirements?
 
They've livebearers, around 2 inches. They do well in groups, preferably 2-3 females per male. You don't need to isolate a breeding pair, but you may want to isolate a female towards the end of her pregnancy to save the fry. The adults will eat their fry, but if you keep them well fed, some are likely to survive but probably not all of them. No special environmental needs, and their fry are big enough to eat finely crushed flake.
 
They're livebearers, and so long as your tank is large enough and has enough shelter, and you can keep the adults in with the fry, so long as the adults are well fed and the fry get live food.
 
They're livebearers, and so long as your tank is large enough and has enough shelter, and you can keep the adults in with the fry, so long as the adults are well fed and the fry get live food.
 
Ok Platies sound pretty decent so far I went to my local fish store they just got a bunch in ... So this for sure could work.

I also saw alot of Tiger Barbs ...

Are Tiger Barbs easy to breed?
 
They're livebearers, and so long as your tank is large enough and has enough shelter, and you can keep the adults in with the fry, so long as the adults are well fed and the fry get the right (as in crushed flake) food. You could supplement them, adding fish vitamins, live food, it will boost their nutritional value. As for tiger barbs, I wouldn't recommend them, they're kinda tough.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top