Breeding Zebra Danios

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have 5 Zebra danios (5 females, 1 male) and I am thinking about trying to breed them. The females are looking pretty fat to me and I want some advice, ANY advice you can give me! I have a few questions, I am a complete noob at this, the only fish I ever bred were livebearers and Firemouth cichlids multiple times by accident!

First of all, I don't understand what triggers them to breed? I mean they live in my 4ft 110 litre tank, but if I moved them to the breeding tank, What would make them suddenly start breeding, just because I moved them to another tank? :blink:

Would 1 male be enough for my females? How many females should I put with him?

How do I know when they are ready to breed?

Also any tips you can give me would be amazing, thanks guys!

:stupid:

Every breed has it's own water conditions and food requirements to stimulate breeding, so a good place to start is lookingup your particular fish on wiki. An expert in breeding some other similar fish may be no help to you at all because each species is individual. Typically, you'll need a seperate tank with some kind of egg mops or traps to stop the parents eating their eggs as a prerequisite.

I know how to breed them I have read loads online - there's just a few things I want to know that's all :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back