breeding traps....

Sye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I put my fish(platys and guppies) in a breeding trap when they look like they are going to burst but after an hour or so in there they look skinny again, but they never seems to be any dead/live fry in the trap!?

Whats going on?

Hi Sye

The best way to birth live bearers is in a heavily planted tank. The female will not get stressed, and a large amount of the fry will survive. When the female has given birth, remove her back to the main tank.

hmmm i used to have a molly that gopt real fat from eating and after an hour he was the same size.....Are you sure they are pregnant?

i wouldnt use them fish traps there cruel to fish . there small and the fish is isolated from plants and the baby fish die easy in them!!

yep i was thinking of getting 1 then i said to myself....... the breeding trap has no plant,space, and it does not have anything so i just let nature took it's course :p

Having a spare tank saying 15 or 20 litres would be plenty big enough powered by a bio- foam filter 45, pop in some floating cambomba, pop mum in their when she is ready to explode and wait.

I went out buy a pregnant female and come home with 2 heavily pregnant platies the next morning 1 gave birth to 39 babies!!!! then other one is still very fat so hopefully more on the way.

The more natural you make it for them the less stressed they will get and unlikely to abort which is what happens with breeding traps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back