Breeding Rhinohorn Goby/clown Goby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

brynneth27

Reaction score
I work in a small pet store and we have a group of about six or seven rhinohorn gobies or redigobius balteatus. We just noticed that two of them appear to be mouthbrooding. I cannot find any information about these fish, is there anyone who can help me? I do not believe their water is currently salted. We put the one with the bigger throat in a breeding net and I am considering taking the less, for lack of a better word, pregant, one home and putting it in a six gallon and then slightly raising the salinity. How would we raise the babies, does anyone know if these fish even normally mouthbrood, and what should I do about salinity in the meantime?

I've never heard of these mouthbrooding; normally breeding them is the same as breeding bumblebee gobies.

In any event, Naomi Delventhal in my brackish water book reports that they're best kept at low-end brackish (around SG 1.005) and the larvae are tiny and need marine rotifers to eat. There's more in the book.

Cheers, Neale

I know, its very weird. They really seem to be mouthbrooding though. We will see what happens with the one in the breeding net, i guess. Ill update this if anything interesting happens.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back