Breeding Peppers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I think people actually do hybridise (crossbreed) chilli peppers to keep making hotter ones! :D
Yes. I believe they have one called dragon x! Supposed to be in the top 3 of worlds hottest peppers last time I checked

Hi,

I have a group of 10 corydoras, 5 albino and 5 peppered.
The albinos spawn after nearly every water change and I have lots of fry growing up in another tank.
The peppers have never spawned, I can tell because the fry are albino.
I think I have 2 female and 3 male peppers, one of the females is really chunky haha.
So just wondering if anyone has any tips on encouraging peppers to spawn?

Thanks!

I have a group of Paleatus in an unheated tank in a porch whose door is open most of the time during daylight hours and through which a strong wind often blows, cauisng the water temperature to fluctuate daily. The tank has sand substrate and is furnished with cobbles, bogwood, and leaf litter and planted with floating plants and hornwort. Tankmates are White Clouds and Gold Barbs and I keep the Corys in a ratio of two males to every female. The tank is illuminated only by ambient light. Our water comes from a borehole dug through Silurian mudstone so is effectively slightly mineralised rainwater. The Corys spawn almost daily, in the filter outflow and above the airstone. Whenever I have a free rearing tank I then remove the eggs with a plastic medicine cup and transfer them.

So far I have tried hatching the eggs in three different tanks:

1. A small unheated tank at room temperature, planted and with a thin soil substrate, accompanied by Japanese Medaka fry and a cleanup crew of Pink Ramshorn Snails.
3. A bare heated tank at 24C, accompanied by Pethia bandula fry and a cleanup crew of Amano Shrimp.
3. A small unheated tank with plants but no substrate and no tankmates.

All three tanks are filtered using small mature sponge filters, and I use Interpet Liquifry 1 and 3 with no other fry food. I have found that although fry hatch and grow on well in all three settings, initial hatching rates are higher in a heated tank even though the eggs have been laid in fairly cold water. The presence of fry and inverts of other taxa appears to have no effect either way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a group of Paleatus in an unheated tank in a porch whose door is open most of the time during daylight hours and through which a strong wind often blows, cauisng the water temperature to fluctuate daily. The tank has sand substrate and is furnished with cobbles, bogwood, and leaf litter and planted with floating plants and hornwort. Tankmates are White Clouds and Gold Barbs and I keep the Corys in a ratio of two males to every female. The tank is illuminated only by ambient light. The Corys spawn almost daily, in the filter outflow and above the airstone. Whenever I have a free rearing tank I then remove the eggs with a plastic medicine cup and transfer them.

This does sound like a pretty perfect set up for Peppered cories to breed in during the summer for sure! :)

Cory's love early morning sun strike on their tank to induce spawning

I have a suspicion that being more exposed to natural variation in daylight and temperature also helps, you know? We try to replicate this with our timed lights and things like cool water changes, but nature has been successfully inducing spawning for millions of years ;)

I forgot to mention my peppered females like to lay eggs on the flat leaf plants too, my anubias are always worth checking.. and I always get the odd one just pop up in community whether I collect eggs in time or not, the peppered are better at hiding them than the albinos in my experience.
They do well. I will attach photo from phone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back