Breeding Nerite Snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Esfa

Shrimpy Shrimp
Reaction score
Well I have read that they can only be bred in brackish. Well mine are in a heavily planted freashwater, and they started laying eggs. Read this was common and that nothing would come of them, but one by one they started disappearing. Now I have about 5 little snails in my tank, about 1.5-2cm diameter. Look just like mini ones of the zebras, but the stripes are fainter.

I havnt added anything new to the tank for over a month. There are no pest snail eggs that I can find, so I think that I have bred them. :blink: :blink:

No idea how, I know they are supposed to be gradually taken into full marine as though they were being washed down a river, but meh. :lol:

Any opinions?

Edit: They are zebra nerites

it might be like mollys, they require brackish water but it isn't necessary, when was the last time you added something to your tank?

it might be like mollys, they require brackish water but it isn't necessary, when was the last time you added something to your tank?

before christmas. still no holes in any of my plants, and i have seen at least 6.

cool :hyper:

Although I have to say, I havnt seen any larger ones at all.

Maybe they die soon after they hatch? :crazy:

cool :hyper:

Although I have to say, I havnt seen any larger ones at all.

Maybe they die soon after they hatch? :crazy:
could do ... like you said they need to be taken in to full marine, couldn't you put them in a small breeding tank and put some aquatic salt in

Yup. Hydrometers are £15 each at my lfs. :crazy: And thats just the cheap, swing arm ones.

:angry: i just took piece of wood out, scrubbed all the eggs off, went to dinner... and there's about 10 on there already. :crazy:

I'm hoping Neale will be able to tell me what's going on. :lol:

Hey Esfa. I doubt the nerite eggs hatched.
The breeding cycle for nerite snails is very complex and requires 100% brackish water. No chance in freshwater. They'll still lay their eggs, but wont hatch. Anyway that you have added marine salt to your tank? :rolleyes:

Well I have a brackish tank, so its possible some could have got in, but it would be like sg 1.00000001 :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back