Breeding My Discus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Have you considered the possibility of breeding wilds once you crack breeding the tank-bred ones?

Have you considered the possibility of breeding wilds once you crack breeding the tank-bred ones?
Holy shamoly! That would be class 1. Let's see how I get to first base. I am away at work just now, and they really need 24/7 attention. So when I get back I can get on it again. I believe that the issue is the water balance, so I have some changes in mind to get it spot on. I have been busy with as much research as possible, so will have a bit of a reset when I get back home.

I understand what the water parameters should be, but the + - lines are so fine.

All said, "yes" that would be ace. Wilds are so nice, but need to be kept alone. I am so close to getting it worked out, but that final step is quite tall.
crazy.gif

Holy shamoly! That would be class 1. Let's see how I get to first base. I am away at work just now, and they really need 24/7 attention. So when I get back I can get on it again. I believe that the issue is the water balance, so I have some changes in mind to get it spot on. I have been busy with as much research as possible, so will have a bit of a reset when I get back home.

I understand what the water parameters should be, but the + - lines are so fine.

All said, "yes" that would be ace. Wilds are so nice, but need to be kept alone. I am so close to getting it worked out, but that final step is quite tall.
crazy.gif

Why not just use water the same as in your tank since that seems to be working...
Just an idea :)

The conductivity of the tank water is too high. They lay eggs, but only around 10% are ever fertile. The water in the breeding tanks is giving me 99% fertility, but the fry development is not good.

I need to find the sweet spot of the conductivity. It should be somewhere between 60 and 120 ppm of dissolved solids. I will find it eventually......even a blind squirrel finds some nuts in the end! :)

You'll be' using a lot of water...

Do you discard the water you change or refilter it?
What RO unit and setup do you have?

You'll be' using a lot of water...

Do you discard the water you change or refilter it?
What RO unit and setup do you have?
I am using 160 liters a day, and the R/O unit is feeding both tanks(80 liters each per day) and the water then goes down the overflow, and down the drain
sad1.gif

So is some what wasteful, but is automatically changing the water, slowly through the day. I have a TDS meter measuring the conductivity, and the pH is a very steady 6.4

The water feed is coming in through airline tubing with taps on, so I can control the flow. You can see the top of the unit on the top tank, as it is clipped on the back of the tank. I am going to go back to producing the water, aging it, and doing manual daily changes. Will also put the foam filters back. If I store 300 liters then I can try and get it balanced just right
good.gif

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 110
Sorry, I lost my mother, and had to return to UK for a few months to sort things out and help my Dad. Just got back home, and ready to pick things up again. Fish are all good. My girlfriend took good care of them, and they have a had a long break from the love action, so I hope they are keen to get it on!
wub.png

Have to sort the tanks today, and get it all ready......... Good to be home
biggrin.png

if you had to state the three most important factors for breeding discus succesfully what would they be? water changes excluded, cos thats obvious :)

Sorry, I lost my mother, and had to return to UK for a few months to sort things out and help my Dad. Just got back home, and ready to pick things up again. Fish are all good. My girlfriend took good care of them, and they have a had a long break from the love action, so I hope they are keen to get it on!
wub.png

Have to sort the tanks today, and get it all ready......... Good to be home
biggrin.png
if you had to state the three most important factors for breeding discus succesfully what would they be? water changes excluded, cos thats obvious :)

Water quality is the main factor. Getting the correct balance of water softness. The amount of total dissolved solids is key in this. Too high and the egg can't absorb water for the separation of the embryo, but if the TDS is too low then the egg absorbs too much water and will break.

Good pair of fish. A female that carries a good amount of eggs and a male that has strong sperm.

Thirdly would be food. The diet the fish are fed, IMO, not only helps with their condition, but also can trigger spawning. I feed only frozen blood worm and beef heart to condition them, and then 2 days of live brine shrimp to induce spawning. Once they spawn I stop with the live food and feed only frozen blood worm, as this is very clean and easy to siphon off any uneaten food.

Water quality is the main factor. Getting the correct balance of water softness. The amount of total dissolved solids is key in this. Too high and the egg can't absorb water for the separation of the embryo, but if the TDS is too low then the egg absorbs too much water and will break.

Good pair of fish. A female that carries a good amount of eggs and a male that has strong sperm.

Thirdly would be food. The diet the fish are fed, IMO, not only helps with their condition, but also can trigger spawning. I feed only frozen blood worm and beef heart to condition them, and then 2 days of live brine shrimp to induce spawning. Once they spawn I stop with the live food and feed only frozen blood worm, as this is very clean and easy to siphon off any uneaten food.
nice advice, im part of the worlds biggest discus breeding farm and...... oh sorry fell asleep, what was i saying???? lol

nice advice, im part of the worlds biggest discus breeding farm and...... oh sorry fell asleep, what was i saying???? lol
WOW! Really you must live in Malaysia then, not Suffolk.....LMAO!

I'm keen to continue following this :) Was enjoying reading it :lol:

I have a new batch of eggs, laid 3 hours ago. I will update in the morning, as I have made some minor set-up changes, which I hope will help.
wink.png

WOW! Really you must live in Malaysia then, not Suffolk.....LMAO!
haha well i can dream cant i :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back