Breeding My Discus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I was just thinking, why not give them the cone and possibly a piece of wood(bogwood/mopani) to spawn on in the spawning tanks since they seem to like it in the main tank?

Or instead of putting the mesh over the cone, leave it off instead of annoying them and messing them about by putting it on?

Just ideas :)

I was just thinking, why not give them the cone and possibly a piece of wood(bogwood/mopani) to spawn on in the spawning tanks since they seem to like it in the main tank?

Or instead of putting the mesh over the cone, leave it off instead of annoying them and messing them about by putting it on?

Just ideas :)
Yeah, could do that, and give them a choice of spawning sites. I do need to work out why the wrigglers are not sticking first though, as the good thing with the cone is it has a little catch tray around the bottom, so it catches the ones that fall down. Without that they would land on the bottom of the tank and probably perish.

What I did do was take the wire away to see if the parents would clean the wrigglers and then they might reattach, but they didn't and the parents were dropping them everywhere, so I put the wire back to try and contain them. The wire doesn't seem to bother them too much. I am hoping that even though the fry are laying in the bottom, that they will still make it to the free swimming stage(Wednesday or Thursday). I really hope they do
rolleyes.gif

You had free swimmers with the wire plenty. I would stick with your routine of fixing things you Know are wrong and not messing with things that haven't been a problem yet. :p

I only sound smart cause this is the only thread that I haven't said : My Bolivian Rams Spawned today :wub: My eyes just welled up. The Momma hates the Daddy though and has banished him to the dog house. Literally. Theres a crappy video with too loud music in my Inexperience thread. I have learned a lot from you, and though I was sooooooooo Excited, I kept my expectations realistic and don't expect eggs in the morning on this spawn in a community tank. :) I will let them have a few practice tries and then move them to a breeding tank if things look promising. WHo knows...the momma might be a beast like me. :p

Sorry for the speech in your thread, but it's an example on how much this thread will help people. I'm so glad I've read this through and seen your journey :)

You had free swimmers with the wire plenty. I would stick with your routine of fixing things you Know are wrong and not messing with things that haven't been a problem yet. :p

I only sound smart cause this is the only thread that I haven't said : My Bolivian Rams Spawned today :wub: My eyes just welled up. The Momma hates the Daddy though and has banished him to the dog house. Literally. Theres a crappy video with too loud music in my Inexperience thread. I have learned a lot from you, and though I was sooooooooo Excited, I kept my expectations realistic and don't expect eggs in the morning on this spawn in a community tank. :) I will let them have a few practice tries and then move them to a breeding tank if things look promising. WHo knows...the momma might be a beast like me. :p

Sorry for the speech in your thread, but it's an example on how much this thread will help people. I'm so glad I've read this through and seen your journey :)

yahoo.gif
Congratulations. I am rushing to go and look at the vid now!
w00t.gif

She managed to wrangle the wriggles from behind the wire and eat them! I guess she knew they weren't good.

Well she gets 3 Weeks off now. :-(

Aw! Sorry Friend. I was worried when they weren't sticky. Let her little egg making "whatchamicallit" have a rester and maybe there will be some nice big sticky ostrich eggs when you get back.

What will be interesting to see is if the blue eggs hatch in the main tank, and if the wriggles are normal. The water quality in the breeding tanks is much purer than the main tank, so if the ones in the main tank are ok then that would indicate that the problem is with the parent fish.

So sorry they didn't survive :(

I agree with the theory about the blues :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back