Breeding Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
im pretty new to bettas, meaning ive kept a few in the past but the novelty was gone within a few weeks.
but this time, i really fancy breeding a different variation of a betta. ive been trying to find an average price for a crowntail...with no luck. can anyone help me here?

i do have a problem though. i was thinking about chancing it a putting about 2-3 females with one male in my community tank but im not 100% sure i should go with this idea lol am i being over cautious or would this definatly not work?

i do have a small tank in the kitchen which i was thinking about using... but i think its too small for a female or 2. i would be putting the male in there only as its too small for an extra fish i beleive. but if the fish bred in the community tank, which i would prefer, then there'd be no point in reviving this tank as the eggs would be in the bigger tank :blink:

im confused about what to do!! lol any ideas anyone?

You can't do it that way :( Males and females should only be together under breeding coniditons and then sperated once the act has taken place. You'll need a breeding tank, and then separate homes for the boy and girl. 4+ girls can be kept together but they are likely to beat each other up from time to time :S Males cannot live together at all, but you could have a divided tank if you wanted more than one male. Males do not fare well in communities, though females are OK, as long as they are with compatible fish. Gouramis are a no no to keep them with, as are any notorious fin nippers. it would be possible to keep girls in your community, your boy in a small separate tank, and then set up a specific breeding tank.......... but what are you gonna do with 100+ fry, when they are growing out and the boys need to be separated? Do you have the room for lots of large jars, and the time to do all the water changes that come with unfiltered water? And the money to buy heat pads to keep the temp constant? Breeding bettas is a big step to take, so do lots of research. check out Netty on here - she has a link to her website on her signature and there is plenty of detail there regarding breeding. :)

Whenever breeding anything, not just fish, it is best to sort of reverse engineer it. Where are 100+ fish going to go? From experience, at least half of the shops or individuals who say they will take or buy them will not when the time comes.

Next, room for the setup, time for the setup, funds for the setup. If any of these three are missing you have the potential for some major problems.

If you have all of these things, it's homework time. Research, ask questions, and ask more questions. Have information readily available, as well as sources for asking questions if something out of the ordinary happens.

If the novelty of keeping bettas has worn off in a few weeks breeding may not hold your interest long. It is a lot of work with very little return.

You really should just search the web, and get some information. Breeding bettas is alot of responsibility and work. Take some time and look into it before you jump in.

these are things i didnt even think of!! lol i guess ill give it a miss and maybe just get a fancy betta (something other than a vieltail) for the centre peice of my 20 gallon :) thanks people!

I would definitely recommend against trying it that way. It's sometimes difficult enough to get a successful spawn by the tried, tested, and true method that I wouldn't consider going the route you mentioned. Also, if you eventually want to get into bettas seriously (which I recommend since it's very fun), then you'll always want to know who the parents are exactly to know where your breeding goals are going.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back