Breeding assassin snails

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I purchased 3 assassin snails 4 months back. One died because it got stuck in the filter. I have seen the other two climbing and moving together for a long time (on and off). I assume this is breeding. Look at the pic bellow.

How long do assassin snails need to hatch? Should I do anything in particular to breed them. There is plenty of food (pond snails).

Attachments

• IMG_20210826_210714.jpg
    IMG_20210826_210714.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210826_210719.jpg
    IMG_20210826_210719.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 15

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Assassin snails lay eggs, in fact lays eggs in a clear square sac, one egg at a time, the square egg sacs are cool to see.

If you see eggs dotted around your tank, they will hatch usually about 8 weeks.

Steady water parameters is pretty important for these eggs as they are fairly sensitive to changes in water parameters.

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
When you have assassin snail eggs, you'll know it, very unique looking...you don't need to intervene, they breed as easily as pest snails, just at a much smaller rate

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 13
OP
N

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Assassin snails lay eggs, in fact lays eggs in a clear square sac, one egg at a time, the square egg sacs are cool to see.

If you see eggs dotted around your tank, they will hatch usually about 8 weeks.

Steady water parameters is pretty important for these eggs as they are fairly sensitive to changes in water parameters.
I saw one on the glass but it was gone a day after. I thought they lay their eggs in the substrate

OP
N

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
When you have assassin snail eggs, you'll know it, very unique looking...you don't need to intervene, they breed as easily as pest snails, just at a much smaller rate
I haven't seen many eggs like that. Is it possible that pond snails are eating them?

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't seen many eggs like that. Is it possible that pond snails are eating them?
I doubt it...look for them on plants, the most common place they lay them

OP
N

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Hmm, the only place I see them climbing on top of each other is the aquarium glass. I will check the plants, but I have never seen any.

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Since you only have 2, they may be both males, or both females

Snails "climb" on each other for various reasons, not just mating...there's some tasty biofilm on their shells that they can't reach themselves ;)

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Assassins lay their eggs on just about any surface really.

I have had both pond snails and Assassin snails together in tanks and have always had a number of assassin eggs and tiny baby assassin snails around.

So from my own experience from having both pond and assassin snails I find it is rather doubtful snails will eat other snail eggs.

Perhaps someone may prove me wrong and show us that snails may eat other types of species snail eggs and that would be fascinating if that’s the case but for now, I don’t think that is the case.

OP
N

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Considering that I got 3 of them about 4 months ago and I haven't seen any babies so far, would it be safe to say that they are all the same gender? I guess I could get more if I want to breed them. The two aren't doing a great job of controlling the pond snail population so I was considering adding more snails.

How many do you think I should get to have them be different genders (how many new ones should I buy on top of the two existing ones)

Most reactions