Breeders Journal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
There are journals on the forum about aquariums and aquascaping and plantings. How about some of the members taking us through their breeding efforts. @emeraldking can certainly school us in livebearers . @GaryE could detail Killifish from mop to grow out and @Uberhoust can show us something about Angelfish. I know that there are many breeders of Bettas here too and Betta breeding is very interesting. The beginning hobbyists have heard about breeding but an up close and personal look could launch them on their own efforts.

I always like to read logs from people breeding their own fish, particularly when they have issues they have to work through.

If you haven't seen it yet, my most thorough log is here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/angelfish-breeding-log-2nd-attempt.472784/

My angels still breed every 3 to 4 weeks, but I am not trying to grow any of them out, letting nature take its course. Maybe again this winter. Breeding and raising the Angels was the most interesting thing I have done with my fish keeping, in particular because it required some trial and error. Unfortunately, the biggest issue I had is how to get rid of all the offspring, I always underestimated how many fish I was producing, the LFS, I frequent are ok getting 25 to 50 angels at time, but I was dropping off up to 150 at a time. We have a small market here for fish keeping, and fish keepers can be trendy too, angels are not that popular here, but I have been told bristle nose plecos are hot right now.

Looking forward to some new logs.

Been breeding electric blue acara for a good while even cross bred Green terrors and electric blue acara at one point , same as above I’ve stopped raising the fry myself and just let nature take its course
There was a brief point where my veteran female died after loosing two breeding mates , very sad but her son took up the mantle after an injection of new blood and paired with the one of the most beautiful EBA I’ve ever owned sadly my efforts have been in breeding my oscars lately after there first spawn I’m looking forward to the next month or so

It's hard to get photos of the eggs or videos of the male in the cave fanning the eggs but I can try.
He picks the most secure spot in the tank. So I can barely see him. The camera doesn't aim in there well either lol

No. You will do it and I really want to see @Guyb93 's Oscars.
There first clutch became pleco food , but they have spent all afternoon clearing a patch down to bare glass again , a much larger patch of glass this time and in a much better place so I’m hoping In the next 7 days there will be another clutch of eggs , honestly the female is too young to be laying eggs she’s 6 months old at a guess if had her 4 months and bought her at about 4 inches , she’s around 7.5/8 inches now , I knew she was of a size and age where pairing was a chance but didn’t expect spawning for at least another 4 months so I’m not hopeful of healthy fry just yet but getting them into a routine and learning , I find is strange how they will dig through 2 inches of sand rather than spawn on the masses of slate and stone but there fun to watch , if I wasn’t eager for them to spawn again I’d wait till they were done then just push the sand back over to see fish can feel disappointment

Attachments

• DED90ECD-C216-4128-A4B4-FF422C3AD1CB.jpeg
    DED90ECD-C216-4128-A4B4-FF422C3AD1CB.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 31

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back