brand new sunsun hw3000 too much air

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cichlid Marco 101

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my new sunsun hw 3000 canister filter , air trapped , i took to of disconnected hoses , found vv lamp had water in tube removed it reinstalled it properly.i then reinstalled pump head and hose connector.I then took blue caps off and filled each tube with water, let it sit for 30min.then i put caps back on and plugged unit back in, there is still air trapped in unit not sure why it is not pushing residual air out, could canister filter be to low,canister filter is about 3ft below aquarium.

anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of air in this filter?????

My guess would be a hose fitting not sealed or if it has O-rings on the main body then one is damaged or not seated correctly. If you have good hearing you will hear an air leak. Also , fill the thing as full with water as possible before starting it.

You either are leaking air or you have too much air in the canister making impossible to get the system to pump water. (or the impeller is not working, this possibility is not discussed)

In most canister filters the impeller is at the top of the canister, with too much air in the canister the impeller will just spin, overheat and eventually die. I am not familiar with the sun brand, but in the end all the canisters depend on a few things to work correctly.
1. They depend on a siphon from the intake to the canister, (any air sucked in will weaken or stop the siphon).
2. They depend on a constantly rising pipe from the canister back to the tank. This means the siphon on the intake side has somewhere to go. if the hose on the outfeed side has a drop below the canister outfeed then you can get an air pocket that is hard for the pump to move and the pump will not work as well. It can also prevent the proper starting of the filter if the air pocket is large enough.
3. Priming pump if present usually starts the siphon on the intake side with the hope of displacing the water and air on the outlet side.
4. The intake side should be lower in the tank than the output side.

If the pump is not pumping any water the issue is likely an air pocket at the impeller, this is often caused if the pump is not primed correctly and or the outlet hose drops below the outlet on the canister.

If the pump is continuously pumping out air with the water the most likely scenario is that air is being introduced somewhere on the intake side.

When starting the canister, it will pump air when starting because the foam, rings, .... all trap some air and this eventually works through and should be mostly quiet after a few minutes, if the siphon is working correctly then it will help push this air up and out of the canister.

The best configuration for the hoses is in some sort of V with the canister at the bottom of the V, and the intake and output at the two tops to the V. The hoses should never have a "trap" in them (up, down, up).

One thing that has happen to me a couple of times, fluval canister, is that I forget to open the valves to the hoses after maintaining the canister. The locking mechanism for the hoses will close the hose valves automatically when you remove the hoses but when you re-attach them the valve stays closed.

FYI I just took a quick look at the SunSun HW 3000 filter. It looks like it has a small protein skimmer built in on the infeed. If this is not setup correctly you might have air being pulled into the filter, might be the cause of your problem.

Thank you for your input , the impeller is working properly if i slow speed down it slows down if i turn speed higher it speeds up. seems most of the air is out i keep shaking the filter to break up the air, I might have to sit the filter a bit higher off the ground, I am going to give it a day or so and see if the air completely goes away,I do not hear any extra air being sucked in anywhere.

They have pretty much answered it, I'm also running a Sunsun HW 3000 without any problems. But I'm using the intake/outtake from my old HW 704B (Since they were already installed on the tank and I was too lazy to replace the new ones). I used to have problems with air trapped in my HW 704B but never in this HW 3000, everything works flawlessly.

Today , I took apart the sunsun HW 3000.just bought it 1 week ago.still air trapped in filter.So i put everything back inside canister filter made sure it was all in properly.put as much water inside canister as possible.hooked hoses back up made sure to keep outlet side closed .took blue cap off inlet side opened inlet valve and filled inlet tube full of water.put blue cap back on .opened outlet valve and plugged the canister filter in.naturally it is going to push out air.I let it run a few minutes and still air trapped inside. so frustrated i took outlet hose out of aquarium and place it lower than aquarium and let some water run out from outlet hose hoping to get final amount of air out of canister.I have be running unit for about 90min and still some air trapped inside.this does not make any sense now.all of the air should be out of the canister filter by now.what would be causing air to still be trapped inside canister filter when there are no blockages in hosses anywhere all connections air tight no water leaking.

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM??????????

Usually when the filter is running you can just rock it back and forth to get rid of the bubbles, maybe you have a bad unit? Try to see if you can get a replacement

unit has been running for about a month now , very little air , Hw 3000 is nice quiet unit, I am happy with this unit doing a wonderful job keeping water crystal clear.I have a Sunsun 304b.I am actually very pleased with the Sunsun canister filters.cheaper name and they do an excellent job for allot less money.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back