brain corals

Salt Freak

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want to get brain corals in about a month my tank is two months old cycled have a berlin airlift skimmer on it salinity is 1.024 the light I have is a 18 watt T-8 zoo-med atnic 420 UI still a'm going to get more lighting but going to get a new light hood soon. and I have one Aqua clear 402 powerhead in there. what kind of elemnts need to go in thereare they easy to keep.

I would avoid the brain corals in your system for now. You are just starting to get some age into the tank but you will need much better flow and lighting. what are your latest test results?

ste :)

With a 30 gallon, once you get your site set on corals, you will want to step up to a metal halide.

A nice 250w pendant would open many doors for you.

The Brains are awesome and quite easy to care for once your tank is matured and has the correct lighting and flow for one.

GL

tHE TEST ARE
aMMONIA- 0
NITRITE-0
NITRATE-10

I don't like what the halides do to the coralsI prefer the T-8's

I understand completly about halides. I just don't know if the T8s will create enough lumens for you.

You can place enough light over a 30 gallon to acheive the rule of thumb X watts per gallon, however the smaller tanks and bulbs involved usually don't have as much punch over 12".

You will just have to be certain to place the light lovers higher in the tank. A practice that works well for many..... :nod:

GL

tHE TEST ARE
aMMONIA- 0
NITRITE-0
NITRATE-10

when you move on to corals, you will need to test a lot more that that. you may get away with not doing for a while but sooner or later, you will need to test for things like calcium, magnesium, phosphate, ph, iodine Kh and alkalinity to name a few and what about SG? you should be testing the SG now with or with out corals.

ste :)

I put my SG in my first post it is 1.024 I'm not done with lighting I'm going to have like three different T-8s on it so far I only have one can yall give sugestions on light bulbs. I don't like what halides do to the colors of the corals and halides produce too much heat and then I have to by a fixture for them so I just presume stick with the T-8 I do have a atnic on there though. As for testing the other stuff I havn't put in any elements in the water yet I was looking at the elements that kent marine.

Most reactions

Back