Brachyrhaphis roswithae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A short video of this breed that I've kept. This wild livebearer species isn't too friendly towards other fish. Unless the're sturdy and aggressive fish themselves. In this video there are still some friendly fish in there but have moved pretty fast to another tank. Because once those Brachyrhaphis roswithae got their self-confidence, they bit around. They had some barbs and guppies as dinner. They bit them in half. Best to keep them in a species tank. But they're oh so beautiful and interesting to keep.

Every Brachyrhaphis I've ever kept has been a rough character. It makes them challenging to breed, and they do have character, in a psycho guy with a chainsaw way. But you wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley.

Every Brachyrhaphis I've ever kept has been a rough character. It makes them challenging to breed, and they do have character, in a psycho guy with a chainsaw way. But you wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley.
I'm still keeping the Brachyrhaphis roseni. These are little less aggressive but still better off in a species tank. But despite of there aggression, they are beautiful looking fish.

A short video of this breed that I've kept. This wild livebearer species isn't too friendly towards other fish. Unless the're sturdy and aggressive fish themselves. In this video there are still some friendly fish in there but have moved pretty fast to another tank. Because once those Brachyrhaphis roswithae got their self-confidence, they bit around. They had some barbs and guppies as dinner. They bit them in half. Best to keep them in a species tank. But they're oh so beautiful and interesting to keep.
This clip was too short to show any pugnacious behavior , but the gameshow style music in the background would have made that an odd oxymoron. I'm glad that their aggressive behavior doesn't extend to rams--not particularly tough fish by most measures.

It's probably true that fish aggression is relative and based on circumstances. Frontosa are very mild-mannered fish, but they will eat anything that can fit in their mouths. Bettas are not particularly tough fish, but put them with other bettas, or sometimes red-tailed sharks, or baby guppies, and they can look like psycho killers. That's why vigilant observation--and the occasional spare tank--is necessary to keep fish. We can't always predict exactly what will happen with a given combination of fish, but we can plan logically, observe carefully, and move decisively when required.

This clip was too short to show any pugnacious behavior , but the gameshow style music in the background would have made that an odd oxymoron. I'm glad that their aggressive behavior doesn't extend to rams--not particularly tough fish by most measures.
Well FYI, those rams have moved as well. Yes, in this particular video you don't see the aggression. But this video was made when they weren't in there that long. When they finally settled in and found their self-confidence, they started to show their natural behavior. But this behavior is common to most Brachyrhaphis species.
That's why vigilant observation--and the occasional spare tank--is necessary to keep fish. We can't always predict exactly what will happen with a given combination of fish, but we can plan logically, observe carefully, and move decisively when required.
I have always extra tanks for any kind of reason that might pop up.

Most reactions

Back