Bolivian Ram Sexing

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

noobfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Need help identifying what I have here. They spend the majority of their time together. They will spare from time to time, but its over within 2min.

Slightly larger of the 2.
20210807_085032.jpg

Smaller, the one that starts the sparing
20210807_085043.jpg

Any ideas?

I would suggest both are female. I'm using the extensions (or lack thereof) of the caudal and dorsal fins. Seeing how they interact (video?) might help.

Hi there, you shoud check if one or the two carry black longer rays on dorsal fin :

rami epine.jpg

I would suggest both are female. I'm using the extensions (or lack thereof) of the caudal and dorsal fins. Seeing how they interact (video?) might help.
Video would be hard, I don't put things on the tube.

If both are female can they be kept together? No interest in breeding on my part.

Female can be dominant and agressive toward another female so you'll have to monitor their behavior.

Video would be hard, I don't put things on the tube.

If both are female can they be kept together? No interest in breeding on my part.

If they do not tear into one another, not a problem. Two females are much less likely to have permanent disagreement.

BTW, the fish in the illustration in @Avel1896 post #3 is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, the common or blue ram, not the Bolivian M. altispinosus. The dorsal rays are not as thick and black on the latter fish. And I find the caudal rays more telling; my male had obvious extensions, but the female looked like your two fish.

Getting a male has been mentioned...don't. Unless you are prepared for what may occur. This species (both of the ram species) must select their mates from within a group; if they do, the two will normally bond, though this is not a certainty. If you put any male in with these two females, he may bond with one of them, or he may not, and if not, the females will not usually last long. If the male does bond with one female, it is difficult to say what may happen to the rejected female, but chances are she would not be long lived.

I added a female in with my male some years ago, before I understood the bonding issue. Looking back with hindsight knowledge, it was obvious from their behaviours that they were having difficulties right from the start. They spawned four times, then the male decided he'd had enough and he killed her. They were in a 5-foot long 115g tank, heavily planted, but that was not enough space. He considered the tank "his," and any intruder was not to be tolerated. He even kept the upper fish (various tetras about 130 in number) in line, which was certainly interesting to observe.

3 first black dorsal rays is a common characteristic.
Also male bolivian ram shows a vivid pink edge on every fins and I see it.

Getting a male has been mentioned...don't. Unless you are prepared for what may occur. This species (both of the ram species) must select their mates from within a group; if they do, the two will normally bond, though this is not a certainty. If you put any male in with these two females, he may bond with one of them, or he may not, and if not, the females will not usually last long. If the male does bond with one female, it is difficult to say what may happen to the rejected female, but chances are she would not be long lived.

I added a female in with my male some years ago, before I understood the bonding issue. Looking back with hindsight knowledge, it was obvious from their behaviours that they were having difficulties right from the start. They spawned four times, then the male decided he'd had enough and he killed her. They were in a 5-foot long 115g tank, heavily planted, but that was not enough space. He considered the tank "his," and any intruder was not to be tolerated. He even kept the upper fish (various tetras about 130 in number) in line, which was certainly interesting to observe.
They don't pay any attention to any of the other fish at all. Normally they're fine together, but every once in a while one will have a go at the other. Then they'll run at each other (like 🐏) a time or two. Then it's over.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back