Bolivian ram numbers and tank mates - 30g

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Emerykoi

Reaction score
Hi! A brand new user here
I thought I posted a thread here earlier but now I can't find it so I'll post again.

I set up a new 30g tank (36x18x12 inches) about two months ago. Tank is fully cycled with it's current population. I currently have harlequin rasbora and a bristle nose pleco and I'm looking at adding some bolivian rams.

My first question is how many can I put into a tank this size? Would 6 be too much? I was either thinking even gender numbers or 2 males + 4 females. I really want more than 2 but don't want overcrowding.

My second question is what other fish would be suitable tank mates? I'd like something colorful in the top half of the tank, maybe one or two blue gourami?

I've kept livebearers in nanotanks for the past ten years and I'm really excited to finally transition into the cichlids

Hi! A brand new user here
I thought I posted a thread here earlier but now I can't find it so I'll post again.

I set up a new 30g tank (36x18x12 inches) about two months ago. Tank is fully cycled with it's current population. I currently have harlequin rasbora and a bristle nose pleco and I'm looking at adding some bolivian rams.

My first question is how many can I put into a tank this size? Would 6 be too much? I was either thinking even gender numbers or 2 males + 4 females. I really want more than 2 but don't want overcrowding.

My second question is what other fish would be suitable tank mates? I'd like something colorful in the top half of the tank, maybe one or two blue gourami?

I've kept livebearers in nanotanks for the past ten years and I'm really excited to finally transition into the cichlids
Do you plan to have live plants ? Floating plants perhaps ...

Lots of plants, then add 4 Rams don't worry to much about sex the tank is big enough to handle 4. Put fish into the tank that will hang out in the top half. I like giant danios with rams. If you want to do something a little different try Butterfly fish. Keep fish out of the bottom half, so no catfish or the like.

Lots of plants, then add 4 Rams don't worry to much about sex the tank is big enough to handle 4. Put fish into the tank that will hang out in the top half. I like giant danios with rams. If you want to do something a little different try Butterfly fish. Keep fish out of the bottom half, so no catfish or the like.

Thank you! I was thinking to maybe stick to South American species and try having a theme tank. I know the harlequin rasbora don't fit in there but I can move them to a different tank later

I would not recommend more than either a solitary male Bolivian Ram, or a bonded pair. In a tank this size, a male Bolivian will consider the entire space "his," guaranteed. As for pairs, they must select each other and bond; any female placed in with a male may or may not bond, and if not the female will not last long. The current other species are fine.

Blue Gourami are probably the most aggressive of the small/medium size gourami. Males are territorial (all gourami, like all cichlids, have this trait) and in this species it can be very pronounced. This is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, and it has several varieties such as Blue, Gold, Cosby, 3-spot, Opaline, Marble, and perhaps others; all are the same in temperament.

I would not recommend more than either a solitary male Bolivian Ram, or a bonded pair. In a tank this size, a male Bolivian will consider the entire space "his," guaranteed. As for pairs, they must select each other and bond; any female placed in with a male may or may not bond, and if not the female will not last long. The current other species are fine.

Blue Gourami are probably the most aggressive of the small/medium size gourami. Males are territorial (all gourami, like all cichlids, have this trait) and in this species it can be very pronounced. This is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, and it has several varieties such as Blue, Gold, Cosby, 3-spot, Opaline, Marble, and perhaps others; all are the same in temperament.
Thank you!

A sudden change in plans. A friend needed to rehome two juvenile angelfish that were being bullied so I took them in today. They're very small now but I guess I've accidentally set myself up to get a bigger tank in the coming months. Oops! Have to explain that to my husband 😂

I think I'll wait with the rams until then so I don't overcrowd the poor angelfish.

Thank you!

A sudden change in plans. A friend needed to rehome two juvenile angelfish that were being bullied so I took them in today. They're very small now but I guess I've accidentally set myself up to get a bigger tank in the coming months. Oops! Have to explain that to my husband 😂

I think I'll wait with the rams until then so I don't overcrowd the poor angelfish.

Yes. And by the way, this angelfish episode is exactly what I was referring to with the rams and gourami. It is inherent in their genetic makeup. Obviously a dominant male angelfish has likely bonded with a female and these subordinate fish had no space to escape, and would be dead before long. Or the dominant male just decided to exercise his authority and same result--insufficient space in the friend's tank for all of them. Be forewarned, the two are likely male and will themselves come to blows now they are alone in "their" space.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back