Bn's In New Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Harlequins

***Corydora Crazy***
Reaction score
Now i'm upgrading to a 5 ft tank, i would like to keep a pair of bn's... would a new tank be ok for them? are they easy to sex??

I'm aware otos need algae on the glass etc to keep going,so mine will be going into the breeding tank until the new tank settles...didn't know if this applies to bn's also.

BN's will happily eat algae when young but as they mature it becomes less of their diet. As long as you are providing nice algae wafers and slices of veg, then I see no reason that they can not be introduced to a new tank.

As for sexing - tricky when young, but as they get to about 2" then the males start to develop obvious bristles on the nose (funnily enough!), the females do but they are much less pronounced.

You should be able to get adult bns so you can sex them properly, but if not look for the oldest ones they have and bristles are a male, not a lot of bristles female. :good:

My male
http://s1079.photobucket.com/albums/w514/panda_cory/?action=view&current=DSC00246.jpg

Havnt got a good pic of the female so here one of the internet
http://www.fishgeeks.com/g2/d/71612-2/DSC_0109.jpg

I know there albino but same principle applies. :good:

I dunno man, I cannot think of a single species of pleco that doesn't rasp. Even my 'carniverous' Hypancistrus enjoys a good rasping. It may not be a 'large' part of every pleco's diet but all of them need access to wood.

Edit: Yours may also enjoy some zucchini.

How about a pair of false "L144" BNs, the black-eyed lemon colour morph? Keep seeing these advertised locally to me, I think I'm going to end up getting some as tankmates for my Chaetostoma milesi, they look so quirkily different to standard BNs.

How about a pair of false "L144" BNs, the black-eyed lemon colour morph? Keep seeing these advertised locally to me, I think I'm going to end up getting some as tankmates for my Chaetostoma milesi, they look so quirkily different to standard BNs.

Just looked these up,they're rather cute compared to standard BN's :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back