Blue Planet - Thrive Plant Food

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LacertaIlla

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
All of the pet stores I went to this week were out of SeaChem's Flourish, or they had the ridiculously large bottles of it (I don't want a large bottle of it...not yet at least), however I didn't want to wait any longer to buy some fertilizer so I bought a 50ml bottle of Blue Planet - Thrive Plant Food for my very sad looking Anubias, and now the Elodea which I bought at the same time as the fertilizer. I've only put two dosages in there (one when I got it last week and one today after the water change).

I know I won't see results straight away, but how long will it be before the plants start to perk up?

And how good is the product? Has anyone used it before?

Thanks,
Blue

Aquatic plants will perk up pretty quick after dpsing the tank with ferts, within a day or two.

in some slow growers seeing any changes may take a bit longer. But in the case of elodea which is a fast growing plant you should see changes in that fairly quickly.

As for the product itself, I have no idea if this is a good fert or not since i have never seen that in the UK, so can't really comment on that tbh. Should be ok though, most ferts are fine, some better than others, but all ferts should have some nutrients of some kind for most plants anyway.

As much as plant food does help plant growth I've found that lighting really does make the massive difference in growth times and colours. Would be helpful to know what kind of light you have and how big the tank is.

Compare the ingredient label of what you purchased with the list on the seachemwebsite.  
http://www.seachem.com/flourish.php

IF they roughly match you should be OK.  HOwever if you just see nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (k) its benifit to your plant may be limited.  It all depends on themicro nutrient content of your water which we don't know.  Looking at the blue planet website I saw mainly  NPK fertilizers designed for potted plants.  The only one would use on an aquarium that I saw was a seawed based fertilizer.  Next time you may want to look on line.  In the us on Amazon.com I can get any size I want.  

Ch4rlie said:
Aquatic plants will perk up pretty quick after dpsing the tank with ferts, within a day or two.

in some slow growers seeing any changes may take a bit longer. But in the case of elodea which is a fast growing plant you should see changes in that fairly quickly.

As for the product itself, I have no idea if this is a good fert or not since i have never seen that in the UK, so can't really comment on that tbh. Should be ok though, most ferts are fine, some better than others, but all ferts should have some nutrients of some kind for most plants anyway.

Maybe I need to be putting a few extra drops in then, as I haven't really been seeing a difference. The Elodea looks about the same as it did when it was in the store, and the Anubias still looks sad. We'll wait and see.

techen said:
As much as plant food does help plant growth I've found that lighting really does make the massive difference in growth times and colours. Would be helpful to know what kind of light you have and how big the tank is.

Um. Natural sunlight (the tank is near a window, I know it shouldn't be but I'm not allowed to put it anywhere else, I close the blinds at about 11AM so its not getting the strong midday sun, and opening them at about 3:30 - 4PM to get the afternoon sun) and the tank is 405 Litres (104 gallons), however it's only half full, maybe just over half.

StevenF said:
Compare the ingredient label of what you purchased with the list on the seachemwebsite.  
http://www.seachem.com/flourish.php

IF they roughly match you should be OK.  HOwever if you just see nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (k) its benifit to your plant may be limited.  It all depends on themicro nutrient content of your water which we don't know.  Looking at the blue planet website I saw mainly  NPK fertilizers designed for potted plants.  The only one would use on an aquarium that I saw was a seawed based fertilizer.  Next time you may want to look on line.  In the us on Amazon.com I can get any size I want.  

There are no ingredients on the bottle and I haven't found any listed for the product online. I think we found the same website, but it's not the same brand I don't think. This bottle says its specifically for freshwater aquariums.

This is the bottle.

IMG_20160517_100058.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back