Blue Para. Gouramis And Dwarf Gouramis.....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pliskin1432

Reaction score
I have two blue paradise gouramis and one dwarf gouramis that are "supposed" to be peacful fish (so says walmart) but one of the BPG (the one i like most because of its bright orange and blue stripes) (the other one is more blue and isnt as pretty) is being picked on hard core by the other one and by the dwarf gouramis. They also fight eachother quite a bit... At first I thought they may have just been playing around or whatever... but it got pretty bad. I had to remove the two of them and place them in a seperate tank where they continue to battle on. the other one (the one i like) does just fine with all other fish. is it normal for these fish to be so aggressive? its like having two male bettas together with a female one all at once. their gills would flare up (it appeared to be) and they would go crazy.

Paradise fish are pretty notoriously aggressive, especially the males. You shouldn't really keep male paradise fish together and, as with all gouramis (although i dont think paradise fiosh technically are gouramis!??) males will be aggressive with each other.
From your description I'd say you've definately got male paradise fish. The males are much more colourful - my female is kind of a peachy grey colour with faint orange stripes.

Sounds to me like you've got a trio of males in there - and in that case they're inevitably going to fight. I would say to separate all three of them (maybe take your two least favourite back to the lfs if you can) or, if you've got the space, add a lot of females to distract them from each other and a lot of hideouts.

Gourami is a taxonomic word only in that it refers to the Anabantidae family but not any particular sub-family/genus/species; hence as far as i'm aware Paradise Fish can technically be classed as a Gourami (in fact they are often sold under the label Paradise Gourami).

Practically all Anabantids regardless of gender scrap a little, but you have to be extremely careful when keeping all males if not avoid it altogether.

The best way to discourage aggression is a good gender ratio (normally 1m:2f), a reasonable tank size to allow for territoriality and plenty of cover in the tank.
Then again there are always exceptions to rules and some fish will fight regardless of effort on your own part, tank size etc.

HOw big is your tank? You should count on 10 gallons/fish as these fish are territorial. You also need to provide sufficient hiding places and plants so each can delimit their own territory.

Paradise fish are mostly recommended for a species only tank. And yes, bettas are part of the same family as gouramis, so their temperament is accordingly!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back