Blue Gourami Now Half Black..?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sockyfish

Reaction score
I came back from work the other day to find my blue gourami looking like he'd been half dipped in ink! He still eats and swims and behaves normally but I'm not sure what has caused this dramatic colour change.

I have a old blue (3 spot) gourami, I bought him full size and he's been keeping me company for several years. (Actually, I haven't sexed him, I don't know if he's male or female). He lives in a large tank with no other gouramis, just a male siamese fighter who occasionally displays but is generally very peaceful, and an eel-tailed catfish.
I went away for work for few months and in that time he became quite ulcerated and thin, but in the 3 weeks I've been back giving him TLC he's recovered (except his hair-like fin and tail are yet to repair).

I can't include a photo with this post, the low light level and unco-operative nature of my gourami mean my photos are just blurs...

another thought is that he might be an opaline gourami. I've seen them for sale in the LFS, and they will go quite dark in the back

another thought is that he might be an opaline gourami. I've seen them for sale in the LFS, and they will go quite dark in the back
Then perhaps its actually quite a common condition for the blue/3 spot/opaline gouramis? I know they are capable of a decent inky colour change if they want to spawn, and maybe in some fish something goes a little haywire in the change...
He's been pale blue for a few years, and the color change of his back half seems now to be permanent. May I could flog him off as a new variant: a tuxedo gourami!!
He's still happy and eating, that's the main thing.

sockyfish said:
I came back from work the other day to find my blue gourami looking like he'd been half dipped in ink! He still eats and swims and behaves normally but I'm not sure what has caused this dramatic colour change.

I have a old blue (3 spot) gourami, I bought him full size and he's been keeping me company for several years. (Actually, I haven't sexed him, I don't know if he's male or female). He lives in a large tank with no other gouramis, just a male siamese fighter who occasionally displays but is generally very peaceful, and an eel-tailed catfish.
I went away for work for few months and in that time he became quite ulcerated and thin, but in the 3 weeks I've been back giving him TLC he's recovered (except his hair-like fin and tail are yet to repair).

I can't include a photo with this post, the low light level and unco-operative nature of my gourami mean my photos are just blurs...

Most reactions

Back