Blue dream shrimp back turning yellowish???

SanDiegoRedneck

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 22, 2020
Messages
118
Reaction score
192
Points
43
Location
LA MESA, CA
I am very new to keeping shrimp. This is my first try. I have 30 blue dream in a 10gal heavily planted tank. All are looking good. I'm seeing molts around tank but now just noticed one is changing color on its back. Is this normal?

ALSO one is so so dark now. Lol
 

Attachments

  • 20200616_193609.webp
    20200616_193609.webp
    770.3 KB · Views: 464
  • 20200617_070605.webp
    20200617_070605.webp
    381 KB · Views: 308
  • 20200617_070547.webp
    20200617_070547.webp
    462.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200617_070542.webp
    20200617_070542.webp
    422.1 KB · Views: 343
  • 20200617_070503.webp
    20200617_070503.webp
    641.3 KB · Views: 323
  • 20200617_070523.webp
    20200617_070523.webp
    497.8 KB · Views: 319
It could be caused by interbreeding. (Breeding from the same blood line)

That is why it is a good idea to add new shrimp every once in a while, so there is new shrimp blood when they breed.
 
That would not explain why the back is yellow...
My Rilis eggs extend that far down and in the photo it looks like the yellow is under the shell but as I said it's hard to see.
 
My Rilis eggs extend that far down and in the photo it looks like the yellow is under the shell but as I said it's hard to see.
That could be it...

I’ve only ever kept Cherry Shrimp, so I wouldn’t know about Blue Dream Shrimp.

@Chad does bring up a good point. They may have changed color because they were about to molt.
 
That could be it...

I’ve only ever kept Cherry Shrimp, so I wouldn’t know about Blue Dream Shrimp.

@Chad does bring up a good point. They may have changed color because they were about to molt.
I'm trying to think back to when I had Blue shrimp and I'm pretty sure they were yellow but I can't really remember. It's definitely easier to see them on Rilis and other lighter shrimp like blues than it is Cherries. I find it much harder to see them on my Cherries.
Yes it looks like under shell. Im excited if eggs
If it is eggs then they're unfertilised at the moment, when they're fertilised they move down to under the tail which is when the shrimp is "berried".
 
I'm trying to think back to when I had Blue shrimp and I'm pretty sure they were yellow but I can't really remember. It's definitely easier to see them on Rilis and other lighter shrimp like blues than it is Cherries. I find it much harder to see them on my Cherries.

If it is eggs then they're unfertilised at the moment, when they're fertilised they move down to under the tail which is when the shrimp is "berried".
Thanks, they are all juvenile now getting to adulthood.
 
On my rillis the saddles are white or yellow. The eggs can be white, yellow or greenish. doesn't appear to make any difference.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top