Blue Coral Platy taste for Red Cheer Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RichieTL

Reaction score
I have three platies. Male yellow coral, female sunsset and what I thought was female (is acting more male now) blue coral. After reading I understood that adult red cherry shrimps were ok to cohabit so purchased 6 and also 2 ramshorn snails. The adult snails have own tank and only put small snails in until certain size.

Anyway back on topic. Found a dead adult shrimp a while back. All in tact and guessed it just died of natural causes. I went into remove I disturbed the water and as it floated around the blur coral started to nip at it. Anyways before I went away on holiday I still had 6 so guess a baby had survived. Mom came daily and fed plattys and every few days put algae wafer in. On coming back I only had 2 and no evidence of dead shrimps. I restocked 4 new to make to 6 again. A month or so later started to notice a dead shrimp with the front part missing. A week pass and noticed another. Then noticed the blue coral forcing away down between where I have stacked rocks and stones. Put food in tapped the glass and it struggled but got out to feed. The stones needed adjusting and yesterday only found one surviving shrimp. Relocated it to snail tank. I believe that the blue coral was waiting until they malted and grabbed them when they were soft.

I'm pretty sure any fish that is big enough to eat a shrimp will do so (with the exception maybe being a cory).
If you want to keep shrimp in this tank I'd say get a bunch and make sure there are TONS of plants and hiding places to give them a good chance. But odds are they're just going to get chased mercilessly.

I'm pretty sure any fish that is big enough to eat a shrimp will do so (with the exception maybe being a cory).

Cories WILL eat shrimps given the chance, they're just not fast enough to catch them :lol:

Yes, thrujenseyes is correct, pretty much all species of fish do view shrimps as fair game for food. Even little CPD's and endlers will happily eat baby shrimplets.

As long as there is plenty of hiding places in nooks and crannies and of course plants, shrimps are pretty adept at staying out of trouble and will hide when needs be.

Cheers will add more plants and construct more hiding places

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back