Blue Acara tankmates, water tempermants and tank size.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish4dawin

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I was reading through a book of fish that I have and I picked up on the blue acara. I like the fish and it would be cool to possibly get some fry.

My tank size is 80cm by 36 by 50 equalling 33 gallons.

Water parameters are pH 7.2-7.4 and GH is 290ppm.

I read in the book that acaras like hard water so would they be ideal for this tank set up and water quality.

Also what tankmates would you guys suggest if I were to go with Blue acaras

Is that an 80x50 or 80x36 footprint? I think your tank might be a bit small for the Acaras but there are other cichlids that could work if you want to go down that route. I think you would need at least a 3 foot tank but if its an 80x50 base that could work.

Your book is not correct in saying that Blue Acaras like hard water. Blue Acaras are A.Pulcher which are a South American fish and like softer water, it could be getting them confused with A.Latifrons which is usually called the Green Acara which comes from Panama and does like harder water and are a bit harder to find.

For this size of tank and hard water I would go with a Convict type like Nanoluteus, Cutteri or Honduran Red Points. All of these get between 3-5 inches, males are larger but its not uncommon for them not to get that big.

I wouldnt go for Sajica or Convicts as they get a bit larger and are more aggressive than the other three.

Since you are in London you should check out Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnall Green - bit of a legendary shop for cichlids :)

Wills

Is that an 80x50 or 80x36 footprint? I think your tank might be a bit small for the Acaras but there are other cichlids that could work if you want to go down that route. I think you would need at least a 3 foot tank but if its an 80x50 base that could work.

Your book is not correct in saying that Blue Acaras like hard water. Blue Acaras are A.Pulcher which are a South American fish and like softer water, it could be getting them confused with A.Latifrons which is usually called the Green Acara which comes from Panama and does like harder water and are a bit harder to find.

For this size of tank and hard water I would go with a Convict type like Nanoluteus, Cutteri or Honduran Red Points. All of these get between 3-5 inches, males are larger but its not uncommon for them not to get that big.

I wouldnt go for Sajica or Convicts as they get a bit larger and are more aggressive than the other three.

Since you are in London you should check out Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnall Green - bit of a legendary shop for cichlids :)

Wills
It is an 80x36 footprint.

I really do like the Honduran Red points and might look at getting some after other fish have passed.

I'm guessing either way the green acaras are 1 harder to get and too won't be suited to tank size.

Are we talking electric blue or standard blue ? I’m thinking yiur tank footprint maybe a little small for them , you could probably use that as a breeding tank for a pair but would have any tank mates in there

Are we talking electric blue or standard blue ? I’m thinking yiur tank footprint maybe a little small for them , you could probably use that as a breeding tank for a pair but would have any tank mates in there
I don't mind really, but I think what you and @Wills said is true. When all the other fish pass I might make this tank a breeder tank or a rummynose tetra tank not sure yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back