Blood Worms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmyStardust

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok - I know this will sound a bit silly but do I defrost the frozen blood worms before putting them in the tank or do I just put the whole frozen cube straight in?? :unsure:

Ok - I know this will sound a bit silly but do I defrost the frozen blood worms before putting them in the tank or do I just put the whole frozen cube straight in?? :unsure:

Not silly at all. It's always best to check if you are unsure about anything.
Yes, defrost the cube in tank water before adding. :) Some people then like to pour the bloodworm through a net so that a lot of the high protien liquid is washed away, then add the bloodworm to the tank. I've never bothered because my maintenance is up to scratch.

I defrost mine on a saucer room temperature - only takes about 10 mins - then pour off the residue liquid and add a bit at a time.I also chop them with scissors as some of the smaller fish have trouble swallowing them whole! Best to feed frozen to avoid passing on any parasites live worms may have.

Quick question, is it an idea to switch off your filter for the few minutes that the fish eat or not?
It's just I hate sitting there watching a percentage of the tasty frozen food been guzzled up by my hungry filter intake! - :lol:

Simplest way is to dip out some tank water in a small cup or glass. Drop in the cube and stir for a minute or so. It will be completely disolved. Then simply pour them in the tank. I do that with all frozen foods.

The other way is suitable if you have an oversized heater... get a big amount of water, like a few cupfuls, and pour it into a freezer bag. Add whatever foods you want - like bloodworm, peas, fruit or vegies, bits of meat... then freeze it.

Put this big ice block in the tank and it dissolves slowly, feeding the fish over a few minutes so they gobble up everything that falls from it. I use this when I have to go away - I make my own feeder blocks and ask somebody to drop one in every week or so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back