Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bloated Tiger Barbs

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by qball922, Aug 26, 2013.

1. qball922

qball922 Mostly New Member

So I recently posted about my fish flashing against rocks and such in my tank. The past few days they've almost completely stopped flashing, so I think the cause was probably pH changes. My pH is slightly higher than I'd like it to be (7.8) but I will be lowering it when I get a chance. Anywho, Someone pointed out in my pictures and video that my barbs looked bloated and possibly constipated. I've fed them blanched peas, tried not feeding them for a few days, and nothing works. I see slight improvement in their belly size when I give them peas and feed them less, but nothing significant. Not exactly sure whats going on (parasite, constipation, etc) and I'm looking for any advice you guys may have.

Parameters:
    pH: 7.8
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 40ppm
    Temp: 78

2. ncguppy830

ncguppy830 Male

well what were you feeding them? you may need to fasten them for a while;

3. qball922

qball922 Mostly New Member

I feed twice a day with tetramin pro crisps, and probably 2-3 times a week I give them freeze dried blood worms as a treat. I soak the bloodworms also. It's extremely hard to fast the barbs only because I have an overly skinny zebra loach who needs plenty of food, and also my other fish are healthy and used to their twice a day diet. Perhaps putting them in my quarantine for a little while might be a good solution. It might be a lot of stress but I figure better to be slightly stressed than dead. I have a cycled filter ready to be placed into my quarantine if this is a logical solution. Input is appreciated.

4. ncguppy830

ncguppy830 Male

freeze dried bloodworms are pretty bad because they are more likely to cause bloat wim bladder and they 2 to 3 times a week was way to much it should be a once a week snack with IMHO live bloodworms. fastening them is a valib option because iot doesnt sound like parasites.