Bloated Dwarf Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HappyKirky

Reaction score
I had two dwarf Gouramis in my tank for about 5 months when suddenly my powder blue Gourami started to swell up, I thought that she may be full of eggs, but she remained that way for about a month, until unfortunatly I found her dead at the bottom of the tank. I've read about Gouramis becoming egg-bound if there is no suitable mate in the tank, but then i've also heard Dwarf Gouramis can be especialy vunerable to parasites or diseases, ultimatly im unsure what was the cause of the death.

Now my other Dwarf has swelled up aswell, to a similar size as the previous one. The fish doesn't appear distressed, nor does it appear to have any markings or be swimming funnily. I was wondering if any of you knew what was happening to them and if it is possible to save my Gourami.

Pics:
(sorry for poor quality, the Gourami was been awkward)

p1020306zp.jpg
Shot at 2011-12-15[/img]

p1020305mp.jpg
Shot at 2011-12-15[/img]

Images, Y U NO WORK!

hi what do you feed them?
water stats?
can you try and get the pics working its hard to help with no visable pic :)

Thanks for the reply, but I found it dead the next morning after posting this topics :(

I fed them mainly on flake foods, but they occasionally had a nibble on the Plecos lettuce. Also the water is ok, nitrates, Ph and such are fine, the only thing is that the water is quite hard in my area, do you think that may have had something with it? Sorry about the pics btw, what uploader can I use for this forum?

Ok when putting photos on just copy n paste the (img) in to the box dont use the uploader it never worked for me either

Hhhhmmm im not sure tbh im struggleing atm to keep mine alive she just dsnt wont to eat :( they are very supseptable to internal infecetions or it even could of been dgd
(dwarf gourami disease) which is uncureable :(

I had the exact same thing happen to my powder dwarf about 4 months back. I was thinking it was dropsy more than anything else. If the scales are raised, that would probably be the diagnosis. In any case, I've read that it is hard to cure DGD and Dropsy once it is bloated to that extent.

Sorry to hear about your fish death HK. :sad:

It is impossible ti cure dgd

Its a 1in 1000 chance in curing dropsy (do note dropsy is a symptom not an illness)

Mine ha bloated but shes on her way now :(

I've had Gouramis for a while now, and all of a sudden i've lost 3 (1 Opaline and 2 Dwarf) in the space of about a month. I have changed nothing in the tank, the water was fine, they got on with their tank mates and they were not that old, they just decided to die. Its kinda soured my experience with Gouramis :/

Sorry for your loss. We will probably not know the actual cause but it could possibly have been constipation from those pics. Try feeding crushed and shelled peas once a week in the future. This aids digestion and can prevent flake building up in the gut. It's only a guess but a good practice none the less

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back