Bleeding Hearts with very long dorsal fins.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Of a group of five,the males and two females,the dominant two males have very long dorsal fins. I'm not sure if that's natural when they get large and about two years old,or are there long finned Bleeding Hearts and these are the ones slow to show and so were sold as common.
One has a dorsal that nearly reaches the end of the tail fin. I tried to catch it open..but he just flashes it open and my camera is too slow. I press and there is a second or so delay before it snaps.
IMG_1980.JPG

Maybe take a short video?

When I get the perfect photo of this guy? You will see that he's got the outline of some kind of Piranha,and when that big dorsal goes up?..sort of looks like some kind of Angelfish?. I also notice that ever since The star grass spread across the front of the tank in that carpet?..the BH's color darkened. I had white sands and gravels..with it covered in green,they are showing like I had put down a dark gravel.
Never would have predicted that. ALWAYS learning still.... after near 50 years.

That seems exceptionally long and definitely longer than the norm. The fish also appear much redder in colour than normal bleeding heart tetras. Maybe they are a different species or a man made version.

The two were jousting and flashing deep colors..but still,they are not washed out like they had been over white gravel and pool sands.
I could not find any reference to long finned BHT in the trade but Wiki did say males can have dorsals that reach back to nearly the tail fin. They just need time and room I guess. I never had them reach this size in times past...but I was always trading and buying and raising..so had fish coming and going for years. Now,I buy and keep forever.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back