Bladder snail predators

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I read assassin snails and some kind of loache eat the snails. I have 7 amano shrimp. Would
the shrimp be in danger with the snail eaters?
What kind of loach is a predator of
bladder snails?. Actually what is a loach? Are they common to buy?

What are loaches ? There are many from the diminutive Botia sudthimunki and Kuhlii loach up to the Clown loach which gets fairly big . The loaches are a big family of fishes . It’s good to ask questions about predators which you may want to add to your aquarium to fix a problem because it doesn’t always end well . I know nothing about shrimp but I have read posts here on The Great TFF Forum that cried mightily over their shrimp being eaten or savaged by all kinds of fish . Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable fish / shrimp keepers here can answer your question . I too would like to know .

I just Started a small tank, not long ago, 1 month old, AND even if I have thoroughly washed and rubbed every single plants leaf by leaf under running water and trashed a part of them... I still got them 💀 💀 💀

But there is hope... Since Th-09-11-23: I have 26 shells glued on my wall of sorrow. and nothing showing up for 3 days.

Next time I will look into stronger disinfectant to clean the plants...

These Gastropods are worse than Duckweed.

My medication are up to date and effective.

Kill.

It.

Now.

What are loaches ? There are many from the diminutive Botia sudthimunki and Kuhlii loach up to the Clown loach which gets fairly big . The loaches are a big family of fishes . It’s good to ask questions about predators which you may want to add to your aquarium to fix a problem because it doesn’t always end well . I know nothing about shrimp but I have read posts here on The Great TFF Forum that cried mightily over their shrimp being eaten or savaged by all kinds of fish . Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable fish / shrimp keepers here can answer your question . I too would like to know .
Hopefully someone knowledgeable about snails will let us know. :)

I just Started a small tank, not long ago, 1 month old, AND even if I have thoroughly washed and rubbed every single plants leaf by leaf under running water and trashed a part of them... I still got them 💀 💀 💀

But there is hope... Since Th-09-11-23: I have 26 shells glued on my wall of sorrow. and nothing showing up for 3 days.

Next time I will look into stronger disinfectant to clean the plants...

These Gastropods are worse than Duckweed.

My medication are up to date and effective.

Kill.

It.

Now.
Congrats:) i too stay current with my meds. Sometimes i wonder who i'd be without them😉

Most of the times, snail predators. Means >more troubles<. These are the paroles of my sensei. I never doubted him, nor challenged.

If you have a serious infestation, Cut them loose with a scraper and siphon them in a bucket as quick as possible then put the bucket in a freezer to kill them. Repeat until there is the smallest population possible. And personally squish all the survivors. This could last months when eggs are laid everywhere... And could require further siphoning.

It needs preparation and determination.... War is War ! Work on all fronts, never surrender.

But once started, they go much faster than duckweed. Loll.

If you don't mind them, at some point you wont even need filtration. In large number they start to feed on each other. Beyond this point your tank is going to be "Spick and span" all the time... But you might have to scrape them from the front glass to see your fish in the morning... If you add more food and time, then a touch of garlic butter would top the thing, I guess... During the war I was still fascinated by them and always kept the biggest ones for last...

I'm also masochist I think. Theses could lay googols of eggs in a month... But where simply amazing to look at.

And they where everywhere, under the lid, in the filter, many roasted dead from the heater and some that came too close under the light during night time.

Hell...

Honestly... If you find them funny right now, tell me about them in a year.

"Pest snail" is an underrated name. Only a drastically underfed tank could keep them under control once they're in.

Ok I need my pills...

There are a few plecos that eat snails… I think if they are snail eaters, they probably don’t clean glass… larger loaches, like clown loaches, will eat the snails… I think some of the smaller ones probably eat snail eggs… but in all fairness, I have 3 Coolie loaches, and 2 assassins in a tank over run by pest snails

You already have the perfect predator.

You.

You have to crush snails, one by one.

Loaches are long lived, social fish that should only be added if you like and want to keep loaches.

Steatocranus Cichlids are wonderful snail eaters, but very specialized fish for experienced aquarists.

Snail killing chemicals are copper based, and extremely dangerous for fish. They are poisons that are hard to remove. Aquarium remedies are completely unregulated. Some that could harm humans have been banned, but if they only harm fish, it's a free market.

As unpleasant as it is, if you define these snails as pests (I sure do) then it's up to you to do a daily crushing til they're gone. It takes time.

I recently learned that it is a good practice to quarantine plants as well . I did this upon receiving plants I bought online mail order . The recommendation was to change the water daily . I did so and had no snails . The few I did find were easily dispatched from the quarantine container . The quarantine period was ten days .

I recently learned that it is a good practice to quarantine plants as well . I did this upon receiving plants I bought online mail order . The recommendation was to change the water daily . I did so and had no snails . The few I did find enwere easily dispatchedq quarantine scontainer . The quarantine periodough was ten days
You already have the perfect predator.

You.

You have to crush snails, one by one.

Loaches are long lived, social fish that should only be added if you like and want to keep loaches.

Steatocranus Cichlids are wonderful snail eaters, but very specialized fish for experienced aquarists.

Snail killing chemicals are copper based, and extremely dangerous for fish. They are poisons that are hard to remove. Aquarium remedies are completely unregulated. Some that could harm humans have been banned, but if they only harm fish, it's a free market.

As unpleasant as it is, if you define these snails as pests (I sure do) then it's up to you to do a daily crushing til they're gone. It takes time..
i guess. I had rinsed plants.
On a different subject- my phone keeps jumping up into the sender's message!
If you hear a sound it's me screaming at my phone ie my typing skills. Ughh

Most of the times, snail predators. Means >more troubles<. These are the paroles of my sensei. I never doubted him, nor challenged.

If you have a serious infestation, Cut them loose with a scraper and siphon them in a bucket as quick as possible then put the bucket in a freezer to kill them. Repeat until there is the smallest population possible. And personally squish all the survivors. This could last months when eggs are laid everywhere... And could require further siphoning.

It needs preparation and determination.... War is War ! Work on all fronts, never surrender.

But once started, they go much faster than duckweed. Loll.

If you don't mind them, at some point you wont even need filtration. In large number they start to feed on each other. Beyond this point your tank is going to be "Spick and span" all the time... But you might have to scrape them from the front glass to see your fish in the morning... If you add more food and time, then a touch of garlic butter would top the thing, I guess... During the war I was still fascinated by them and always kept the biggest ones for last...

I'm also masochist I think. Theses could lay googols of eggs in a month... But where simply amazing to look at.

And they where everywhere, under the lid, in the filter, many roasted dead from the heater and some that came too close under the light during night time.

Hell...

Honestly... If you find them funny right now, tell me about them in a year.

"Pest snail" is an underrated name. Only a drastically underfed tank could keep them under control once they're in.

Ok I need my pills...
👍

I've never had this massive proliferation of bladder snails. I guess that's for those who overfeed the tank? The most I've seen is in my outdoors pond, and I think they got there from nature (I didn't introduce them). I have introduced them from my pond to my aquarium tanks though and never seen them get large in numbers.

I probably overfeed my amano shrimp. They get tiny pellets ( Hikari Shrimp Cuisine). How many granules should a shrimp get?

Try to eliminate slowly but surely the snail invasion. And try to bring your shrimps to a singe feeding spot. The place that has the least water movement in the tank. Stop your filtration system. Wait until water settles. Drop the food in the subtract with a dropper. Wait a while it settles a bit and restart filtration. if you have a lot of fishes this could be somekind of an operation. Distract them before by feeding them floating food. Check if your buddies finds the golden spot. repeat every other day until you have a bunch of them. Then No more than twice a week even, just once... So they continue to wander all over the tank, and keep an eye on the golden spot.

If you have a tendency to overfeed... They will never be at risk.

Most reactions

Back