Blackworms

grasshopper_green

New Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jersey City, NJ
My lfs has live blackworms for sale. I'd love to offer my community tropical tank some live food, as I've never given them live food before.
Are there any special considerations I should know about before offering these worms to my fish?
Are there any precautions I should take against disease?

thanks for any advice!
 
IIRC you store them in shallow water in the refrigerator. You have to change that water daily and remove any dead ones otherwise it could harm your fish. They are usually a little expensive.
 
Hi grasshopper_green :)

Blackworms are an excellent food for small fish who like to have some meaty food in their diet. They are also a good choice for conditioning fish you would like to breed. I prefer them to frozen bloodworms because, since they are alive and intact, none of their nutritious blood is lost.

Unlike the smaller tubifex worm you sometimes find, blackworms are not collected in the wild, but are farm raised. There is little risk of disease as long as they are kept clean and remain alive. Usually a "portion" is about an ounce and costs around $3 US. If they have been kept clean at the lfs, and you rinse them in cold water every day, they should last about a week. Don't hesitate to ask to see them before you buy any. They should look active and clean. If not, ask them when they will be getting in a new batch and buy them then.

When you get them home, put them into a larger container and run cold water over them until it runs clear. Give them a gentle stir to separate them while you are rinsing. Take your time and remove any debris. The white, flat things you might find are a form of leach and I like to take them out. Store them in the refrigerator with 1/4" of water over them.

Your fish will love them!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top