Blackwater Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

m1lky12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my 180 liter upgrade up and running soon and with the extra space was hoping to make it a amazonian themed tank with more of a flooded forest look too it, i.e larger bogwood/driftwood being more prominent in the tank along with more diffusion of light into the water. Looking at a few blogs and tanks around the internet I got more drawn into the look of a blackwater effect setup.

Now my question is purely hypothetical right now because if this was to happen it would be a couple of months down the line but what effect does staining the water have on the fish? Especially those thats natural habitat wouldn't be blackwater? Now of my current stock none are native to the Amazon but obviously it may affect some species more than others, I currently have a couple of Syodontis catfish, Zebra Loaches and some Ruby Barbs. I'm looking at adding a Bristlenose Catfish, Banjo Catfish, Angelfish and possibly a shoal of tetra of some sort. Thinking about the possibility of trading the Barbs for Tetras and possibly the Loaches for Corys if I can bare to get rid of them!

The method I looked at was to boil Oak tree leaves and add the water to the tank. I read that tannins will cause a lower pH when added but this shouldn't be too much of a problem, just wandering if there's any negative effects of this approach?

There are not really any negatives, mostly positives. You can get tannins in many ways, so what approach are you thinking of?

Hope you are not expecting an answer that post was made Sep 20, 2012.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back