Black Widow Tetra Hanging nose up in the water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fox46

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my Black Widow Tetra is dangling nose up about two thirds of the way down in the corner of the tank. If I tap on the glass he darts away and swims normally but soon comes back and resumes the same behaviour. I think I've seen him, or one of them, do this before but not constantly like this. Swim Bladder Disease seems to be nose down swimming, or is this a variation and what's best for him.

Do you feed them dry flake food that sits on the surface? If so it could be that he took in some air while feeding and just needs time to expel it. I mix my dry flake food with tank water and then pour it in. I had a similar problem with some neon tetras .

Do you feed them dry flake food that sits on the surface? If so it could be that he took in some air while feeding and just needs time to expel it. I mix my dry flake food with tank water and then pour it in. I had a similar problem with some neon tetras .
That's interesting. I do feed them dry flake food and they are real gannets, lunging up to the surface and back down again. I'll try that, thanks. He's perfectly able to swim normally when I tap on the glass, so I'm not thinking its swim bladder.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back