Black Molly With White Spots Around Eyes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
I bought 1x black molly and 1 x with molly about 3 weeks ago and the black one got white spots around its eyes. I have been treating with "white spot control" for 8 days and the poor thing dosen't look any better, he now has white around the top of his mouth too and a couple of spots on his fins. All this and the white molly has started bullying him and dosen't let him near the food. I have only a small tank (about 21 lts) and have 2 mollys, 4 tetras, 3 male guppie and the small cat fish. Could it be anything other than white spot? I have been following the instructions and treating every 48 hours, taken the carbon out of the filter and doing frequent water changes.

How big are the white spots as it sound bacterial.
Any tinging of red around the white spots.
Its overstocked for such a small tank.
What are your stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and ph.

How big are the white spots as it sound bacterial.
Any tinging of red around the white spots.
Its overstocked for such a small tank.
What are your stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and ph.

I have to admit that I did take advice on the stocking of fish from the shop who said that when adding the 2 mollies it would be full, it does kind of feel overstocked though! The nitrite is 0 - nitrate 25 and the ph >7d. Not sure if I have explained them well but they look OK considering I have no carbon in. I havent tested for ammonia - I will have to get that test kit. How do I test for bacterial problems? The white spots look about the size of a pin head but around the eyes and on the mouth no longer look like just spots - more like 10 joined together to form a small patch. Thanks for your help.

Can you load a pic up so the members can take a look.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing against objects, or laboured breathing.
Does the fish still have the white patch on the mouth.

Do the spots look like this pic.
http://www.fishpalace.org/[email protected]

Can you load a pic up so the members can take a look.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing against objects, or laboured breathing.
Does the fish still have the white patch on the mouth.

Do the spots look like this pic.
http://www.fishpalace.org/[email protected]

No signs of any red patches. I give up trying to get a photo - there must be a special skill and I aint got it. The spots look much less frequent than that photo and fater. The mouth and eyes kind of look like she has a bit of white gel around them - she is not flicking but does sometimes look like she is using her whole body to swim rather than her tail and fins. Both the white spots, gel around the eyes and mouth all seem to change day by day. Yesterday I was sure she was on the mend, today she looked poorly again. All the other fish look really healthy.

Can you issolate the sick fish as I would treat it as bacterial, as the whitespot med done nothing.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdcolumn.htm
[/quote

OK, now I think this is what she has but I cant issolate the fish as this is our beginner tank - before we got really good at it and bought a bigger one!! Can I treat the whole tank - should I try and get the shop to take her back? what is the best treatment for her? She has only been in the tank 3 weeks and but the water here is Scotland is very soft and I did read somewhere that mollies might not like soft water?

Mollies do better in brackish water, but that depends on which fish you keep.
Medicate the whole tank then, anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.

Hope it does the job.
Good luck.

Keep going with the med don't cut it to short, even if you have to do another round, it can soon flare up again.
Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back