Black Ghost Knife Fish Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
There is 2 bala sharks and a clown loach they all stay out of each others way ... the tank my dad got me so i would have to ask him when he gets home from work ... the cloan loach im giving it to my friend once he is bigger so if they arent compatible i can take care of that

Do you use any salt in the water? BGK don't like salt. Do you use water dechlorinator? Go get a ruler and measure the length, width and height of the tank. Black Ghosts are one of my favorites too. If I can help you save this one, it would please me. What's the temp in the tank? Could the water you are using for water changes be too cold? Do you have enough hiding places for the ghost so he's not stressed? When the lights go out, is the clown loach seeking out the ghost and stressing it?

Id try posting in the odd ball section about requirements for keeping black ghosts. He should have hinding places so he wont get stressed
Your not fibbing your water tests are you? lol. Is the amonium and nitate definately zero because you dont change water regurlary enough? If it is i appologise. i just dont want people not finding the problem :)

He has 3 hiding places that are dark inside :) the light isnt to bright and the loach doesnt bother him at all. the temp right now is 78 and no salt water or salt is being used in the tank i would be most pleased to if this one lives :D ... no the ammonia and nitrite level was zero i checked yesterday water is almost room temp and i will change 20% of water but what should i feed him he isnt eating much he is eating a couple of bloodoworms and doesnt want em any more and i tried flakes he didnt like those at all

Well, I'd say definitely upping your water changes would help; as the other posters have said, 25% a week, using warm dechlorinated water, would be a good start.

What's this 'water filter' you're using? It's not a softener by any chance? Do you drink the water that comes out of it?

Have you got a garden? If so, and you don't use pesticides in it, you could dig up a few earthworms. There's not many fish that can resist an earthworm or two. Or mealworms/maggots from your local angling supplier (not the dyed ones though).

I don't know of many ghosts that will eat flake food. Although I had one years ago that wouldn't eat anything else but flakes. Frozen or live blood worms is what I always feed mine. Mostly frozen. I use an eyedropper to put the blood worms right in his hiding place. That way, even if he doesn't eat right away, it's there when he wants it. Do you feed with the lights on or off? I had one that wouldn't eat until it was dark.

thats what i did with the blood worms but im not sure if he ate it its kinda of dark for me to see em

Well, I'd say definitely upping your water changes would help; as the other posters have said, 25% a week, using warm dechlorinated water, would be a good start.

What's this 'water filter' you're using? It's not a softener by any chance? Do you drink the water that comes out of it?

Have you got a garden? If so, and you don't use pesticides in it, you could dig up a few earthworms. There's not many fish that can resist an earthworm or two. Or mealworms/maggots from your local angling supplier (not the dyed ones though).

the water doesnt have any chlorine in it i dont think any fish likes chlorine and here in florida the sink water does have a bit of chlorine and im pretty sure we dont use pesticides in the backyard because of the rabbit we have and my dog he is only 4 inches do you think he can eat a whole mealworm? my friend gets them all the time im sure she wouldnt mind giving me some ... i find alot of worms out in the back yard especially when it rains and its going to rain soon :D im not sure if its earth worms tho must be ^^;; but thank you so much for trying to help :)

You're welcome; lets hope we can sort out your problem; I'd still like detais of your filter if possible :)

Yes, a 4' BGK can certainly open it's mouth wide enough for a mealworm!

XD i herd about that but i wasnt sure if it was true... for now on i will change 25% of water every week and i bought a ph test and will check it constantly and will check water more water is almost good temp to put in tank hopefully this one will live i havent gottan to attachted to him since im afraid he dies or something i will get too sad to try again :/ like i said in jan i had some they passed away and 6months later ( present) im trying again maybe the tank wasnt filtered enough in the passed who knows ^^

how old do you think he is if he is 4 inches? how long do they live? just out of curiosity becausei read a forum once and the guys fish lived for 16 years

Keep us posted on how he's doing. Keep up on the water changes. 25% - 50% every week. I wouldn't worry too much about pH just make sure you don't have big pH swings. Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite. When I was feeding my ghost every day, he got alittle fussy about eating. When I started feeding him every other day, he never missed a meal. Good luck

Thank you so mucha nd i will keep you updatedd

I think Colleen's given you some very sound advice there; really hope things work out for you this time; very best of luck to you :good:

:/ well i changed 25% of the water... he isnt eating one bite i tried flakes and blood worms.. i think he got 2-3 blood worms but thats about it... :( i have no other place to put him to make sure he is eating thats the biggest tank i have and the only one .... :( i want to try mealworms but i doubt my mom will take me to the fish store again =_= since we just went yesterday ... any ideas of what to do?

the light is off right now the only light there is from the window of the sun.. i put blood worms in his hiding spot but it seems that not even there he wants it ...

First of all; don't panic if he doesn't eat for a day or two; that's quite common in this sort of fish.

Maybe do another water change, either tonight or tomorrow, and then see how he is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back