Black beard algae

I thought it was meant to be beneficial for plant growth

Benefiting plant growth at the expense of the fish makes no sense to me. This light siesta approach does harm fish. Plants are better able to adjust to a non-24 hour light schedule, but not fish. The circadian rhythm governs their day/night cycle.

As for the "benefit" so-called to plants...the idea behind the siesta approach is to provide a mid-day period of no "daylight" so the plants stop assimilating CO2 and it can rebuild. In a balanced healthy aquarium, the source of CO2 is primarily from the breakdown of organics in the substrate, plus the respiration of fish, invertebrates, plants and some bacteria. Both of these occur 24/7. During daylight (the period of brightest lighting which is sufficient to drive photosynthesis) the plants assimilate CO2, and this is usually faster (depending upon the plant species and numbers) that the CO2 can be replenished. So someone came up with the idea that turning off the tank "daylight" for a couple hours will allow the CO2 to rebuild. This happens at night obviously; this is why the pH will lower during the night, the increase in CO2 creates carbonic acid which lowers the pH. And this is a prime factor in the light/nutrient balance to control algae, and feed the plants.

I generally think the bba does not go easily it is probably a mixture of too bright light and not enough plants over feeding i tried a uv seemed to work until the bulb broke again( about a month ) then it came back with a vengence esha used to work well but its a super strain now ive tried other agae treatments tetra and excel during times ive run charcoal cleaned and regular water changes but ive still tested water and ph and gh kh all out tried almond capata leaves

None of this will have any impact on "problem" algae. Unless of course the use of all these highly toxic substances kill everything. It is solely an issue of the balance of light (intensity and duration) and available nutrients.

None of this will have any impact on "problem" algae. Unless of course the use of all these highly toxic substances kill everything. It is solely an issue of the balance of light (intensity and duration) and available nutrients.
I have been having a similar BBA problem and have decided to try and find a balance instead of dosing Hydrogen Peroxide or other chemicals. Once you see that the BBA grow has subsided how would you go about removing it? It’s currently on plants, decorations and driftwood. Would I remove the cover parts of the plants and just scrub the decorations/drift wood?

Benefiting plant growth at the expense of the fish makes no sense to me. This light siesta approach does harm fish. Plants are better able to adjust to a non-24 hour light schedule, but not fish. The circadian rhythm governs their day/night cycle.

As for the "benefit" so-called to plants...the idea behind the siesta approach is to provide a mid-day period of no "daylight" so the plants stop assimilating CO2 and it can rebuild. In a balanced healthy aquarium, the source of CO2 is primarily from the breakdown of organics in the substrate, plus the respiration of fish, invertebrates, plants and some bacteria. Both of these occur 24/7. During daylight (the period of brightest lighting which is sufficient to drive photosynthesis) the plants assimilate CO2, and this is usually faster (depending upon the plant species and numbers) that the CO2 can be replenished. So someone came up with the idea that turning off the tank "daylight" for a couple hours will allow the CO2 to rebuild. This happens at night obviously; this is why the pH will lower during the night, the increase in CO2 creates carbonic acid which lowers the pH. And this is a prime factor in the light/nutrient balance to control algae, and feed the plants.
Well, you know what they say, "Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one"

I have been having a similar BBA problem and have decided to try and find a balance instead of dosing Hydrogen Peroxide or other chemicals. Once you see that the BBA grow has subsided how would you go about removing it? It’s currently on plants, decorations and driftwood. Would I remove the cover parts of the plants and just scrub the decorations/drift wood?

It is next to impossible to remove this algae dead or alive from plant leaves. I tend to just leave it. Once I had the light/nutrients in balance, the BBA stopped increasing (which is the indication you have dealt with it). I left it on wood because frankly it looks very natural and lovely; all sorts of microscopic critters will live in it and provide food for fish and invertebrates. As for the plants, these were primarily my large sword plants so as they grew new leaves from the centre of the crown, the older outer leaves that were encrusted with BBA I cut off. Don't be quick to do this though, as some nutrients are mobile and plants like the swords can transfer them from old leaves to new growth. Once the stem of the leaf is brown at the base, nutrients can no longer move up and down so the leaf can be removed then to tidy things up. It will begin to yellow at this point anyway.

Ive tried scrubbing all ornaments and plastic plants it just grows back

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back