Black beard algae on new anubias plants.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I purchased a couple of anubias plants today and found that some leaves had what appears to be black beard algae on them. What is the best way to treat plants to get rid of the BBA. I have been lucky and never had it on any of my live plants before. I have the plants isolated in a plastic tub. Is using Hydrogen Peroxide still the best method.

Attachments

• GEDC1520.JPG
    GEDC1520.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 98
  • GEDC1521.JPG
    GEDC1521.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 104
  • GEDC1522.JPG
    GEDC1522.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 137
Whilst they're not in the tank, use a soft toothbrush to scrub the leaves and pull off any larger pieces of beard algae. Once they're in the tank, keep them in low light, shaded by some other taller plant

Yes, that has happened to me as well in my 90L tank. It's been there for ages. When I go to the pet store after lockdown, I'm straightaway gonna buy a treatment! ;)

I did try and wipe off some but ended up using a spray bottle with Hydrogen Peroxide and sprayed the plants. Having them sit in a QT plastic container until the algae is gone. Really nice anubias, been trying to find some but aquarium plants have been in short supply. I spotted these way in the back of one of the plant tanks at my LFS under some sick looking java ferns.

I tried the Hydrogen Peroxide treatment and so far there was little change so I am going to try another dose. It may be that my peroxide is old.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back