Black Algae Is Destroying My Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I need some help guys! I'm on the verge of giving up on a planted tank.

The tank keeps getting overrun by green/brown algae that grows on the tank walls, and then the plants get covered in black webby/slimy algae.
The tank on the walls I scrape off with a credit card. But It is hard to pick it off the stuff on the plants, especially since I have delicate baby tears which just come out of the substrate if I try.

I dose co2 daily (about half a cap lately to try help with the algae).
I have put SeaChem Flourish Tabs in there a few months ago.
My flow is too low I think - and the problem is I can't really turn it up because it upsets my betta.

Any suggestions?

This is what my tank looks like now by the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 67
Tell us about your lighting.

The light is A150W Kessil Amazon Sun.
I have been told this may be the problem.
I would like to get rid it of it and put a weaker light in but I have no idea what kind to get, and I'm nervous about selling the Kessil as I paid so much for it a few months ago.
Would be good to get some cash back for it.

You could place something on top of the tank to diffuse the light a bit, something like a piece of thin paper or some greaseproof paper. Or some opaque plastic or similar, it would tale a bit of trial and error and might not look nice but would certainly help with the algae I'm sure.

Might not work with your type of tank... but I placed opaque white plastic table cloth (super thin disposable type) across my condensation tray to shade my light and within 2 weeks I had about 70% less algae (it just flaked off and fell into the gravel and I'd see it when doing a gravel vacuum)... and after the 3rd week it was about 95% gone.  I've never managed 100% but I consider 95% a success.  My plants are still recuperating from having been covered with algae (over a month later) but they have really come along in leaps and bounds with loads of new growth... my anubias congensis is the slowest to recuperate though.

Thanks for the idea! I will give the paper a try. I hope it doesn't burn though - the light can get quite hot. Then again it does have a fan to keep it cool

It may not be your lighting it could be there are too many nutrients in your tank. You could try doing a 40% water change and stop adding the CO2 and don't add any more fert's. Also reduce the amount you feed the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back