Bit of trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Last evening I get back from work and my partner tells me one of my fish is dead . An adult bronze cory had died not sure of the age as bought full grown but I hear they live a good while so not putting down to age , I water test and itā€™s not great but not bad ,
Gh 160
KH 40
Ph 6.5
No2 0
NO3 60
I changed around 30%
Results brought down the NO3 to around 20-40 which is normal ... for my tank
Checking for more casualty I move all my wood so I can see the corys all still alive but I noted a few look a little tatty to say like they are shedding , everything else looks healthy and fine I know as bottom dwellers they get the worst of the water and Iā€™m thinking maybe I have Ich ?? O fish have any white dot but something has got to be lurking in there ... Iā€™m thinking a silent treatment ? But the temp for a week or two ? Donā€™t really want to do a full treatment as nothing appears to be sick but canā€™t go wrong with a slight temp boost right ??

So you have a couple of degrees to play with. Just make sure your filter is working at max. Remember the higher the temperature the lower the oxygen content.

So you have a couple of degrees to play with. Just make sure your filter is working at max. Remember the higher the temperature the lower the oxygen content.
I thought this as I donā€™t use an air pump but havenā€™t noticed any gasping or red gils I do keep my filter slightly above the water line so create water disturbance just not sure , water is ok temp is ok fish are ok hard to judge from the dead body as it was just a shell left it had been picked apart

I'm not sure that I'd treat for ich unless I saw spots and then you really need 86F/30C for 2 weeks or so.
I'd stay on top of water changes, maybe even increase to 50-75% and see what happens. Best to get nitrates below 20ppm.
Hope things turn around.

Just a thought, but perhaps the Cory did die of natural causes. As far as I know, people don't die of old age, they usually die of some disease (e.g. Heart disease), which they are more likely to get when elderly. That doesn't mean perfectly healthy individuals can't die at a much younger age from the same diseases. For example, people of all ages can get cancer. Perhaps this cory just happened to have cancer or had an anomalous heart attack.

Just got back another has died , I feel like Iā€™m failing them now I started with 5 and boosted them to 14 for there sake now itā€™s 12. This one again now spots or red belly or gills just dead and unless itā€™s a small male this one was not full grown , yet my geophagus are blooming starting to show real nice colours I added an internal filter to ... I dunno maybe help I currently have fry from my eba ... again so water canā€™t be all that bad just lost I really am . Am I right in saying bronze Cory are fairly hardy ? Or are they little keelers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back