Biorb Life 60 - Fish Die After Cleaning The Gravel

I'm sure an extra filter will help, as I don't think the Biorb's filtration system is very good (although I've never owned one) but you still need to test the water and change as neccessary until the beneficial good bacteria grow in the new filter.

I wouldn't rely too much on that person's advice; anyone who think it's ok to put a Gyrinocheilus in a Biorb isn't to be trusted, IMHO.

Hi fluttermoth, I'm the person with the Chinese sucking loach in my biorb, the fish came with the orb (2nd hand) so it was either keep it or flush it, I chose to keep it. I've had the orb set up in its present configuration for well over a year now with no problems with either water quality or the fish population since I put the Ehiem & siporex in to replace the biorb rubbish, just thought you should know before passing judgement on me.

Regards

commando55

I do appreciate the problems of second hand fish (I've currently got a rescued gibbiceps in a 48x15x15" :crazy: luckily it's only small at the moment, so I have a while to sort out something better). But keeping it and flushing it are not the only options, you could try and re-home it to someone with a more suitable tank.

Keeping a fish that should grow to a foot long in a 60l biorb is just not fair on the fish. You could try advertising it on Craiglist or Aquarist Classified, depending on where you are.

I wasn't passing judgement; I know these situations can be very difficult. Best of luck with your fishies :good:

Hi again

As with your rescued Plec my loach is still quite small & about 4.5" at the moment (it was only a baby when I was given it). I know they are good sized fish when fully grown & won't keep it in the biorb much longer. I also have a 36x18x15 community tank set up but am hesitant to put it in there as I've got some quite expensive fish in there & I know the Chinese gets predatory as it gets bigger. We used to have a really good aquatics shop close by which would exchange fish if they got too big for a tank, (they took a 9" Plec off me once), but unfortunately they closed up shop a while ago. I know not many people want these kind of fish because of the problems they present but will be trying to re-home it soon.

Anybody on the forum interested???? Going free to a good home!!

Regards

Commando55

If disturbing the gravel is a problem because of detritus, would it be an option to switch to sand, or would that not be possible because of the filtration?

IIRC, the biorb has an undergravel filter, so if I'm right, no sand isn't an option.

I do understand your dilemma. If only other people would do their research we wouldn't get left to pick up the pieces *sighs*

If disturbing the gravel is a problem because of detritus, would it be an option to switch to sand, or would that not be possible because of the filtration?

IIRC, the biorb has an undergravel filter, so if I'm right, no sand isn't an option.

I've done it with a 60 ltr biorb. You have to blank off the central filter inlet with a non-return valve before putting sand in to replace the original biorb media but it works well & with an Ehiem internal ball filter to replace the biorb rubbish I've had no problems.

I've done it with a 60 ltr biorb. You have to blank off the central filter inlet with a non-return valve before putting sand in to replace the original biorb media but it works well & with an Ehiem internal ball filter to replace the biorb rubbish I've had no problems.

Exactly. You have converted the tank away from undergravel filtration. My point was "no sand with a UG Filter", not "no sand in a biorb".

You also have to cycle the tank/filter again, as the biorb filter media are the rocks they provide you with as a substrate.

Exactly. You have converted the tank away from undergravel filtration. My point was "no sand with a UG Filter", not "no sand in a biorb".

I understand that, but instead of just saying it isn't possible I was trying to explain a possible option which works.

I understand that, but instead of just saying it isn't possible I was trying to explain a possible option which works.
I understand that you understand that, i was just making the poster aware of what he needs to understand, if you understand.

You also have to cycle the tank/filter again, as the biorb filter media are the rocks they provide you with as a substrate.

That's true, but what I did was run the Ehiem in tandem with the biorb filter for a couple of months before doing the change over so the Ehiem was well cycled before I took the biorb stuff out. I also kept half the water that was in the biorb & then put that back in once I'd replaced the biorb ceramic media with silver sand & then topped up with fresh water, it worked well as I didn't lose a single fish & had no problems with water quality after completing the change over.

I understand that you understand that, i was just making the poster aware of what he needs to understand, if you understand.

Ahhhh, I understand!!!!!

Most reactions

Back