BiOrb & a Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

_woody_

Reaction score
Hey! I have a 15l BiOrb flow, which I now know is not the greatest tank ever, which was brought for me when I was young. I would prefer to use it, as after all, theyā€™re not the cheapest tank for what they are- but if it comes down to it, Iā€™ll buy a new one. These questions have been asked before, but the threads that appear seem to be 10+ years old, and I wondered if there have been any other solutions found.

1) The media used for the filtration system is very sharp, and with previous use has torn up bettaā€™s fins, and even got them stuck between the rocks. Iā€™ve got the understanding that you need these rocks as the system heavily requires them to hold bacteria etc. Are there any alternatives? Or could I put something above it, like larger gravel, or will this ruin the system?

2) How do I reduce the flow? Iā€™ve already packed the tube with sponge, yet the flow is still way to strong for a Betta. Again, if needs be Iā€™ll get a HM Plakat as I know they will find it easier to swim in (to an extent) but I really would like a ā€˜standardā€™ HM. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
~woody

Last edited:
Hi Woody
Is that the 4g?

I don't know anything about that unit as far as setup, substrate, etc...

I have read that bowl or round shapes are disorienting for fish. Betta are also large in ratio to this tank. I wouldn't suggest a betta because of the round and round and round aspect. I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.

I would love to hear what others say.
I'm thinking concentrate on some gorgeous plants and maybe keep shrimp.

Red Cherry Shrimp are nice and may reproduce.

The other option I would suggest as long as you keep up with water changes and cleaning might be some of the nanofish.
They like groups, though, and 4g is not very much room. Consult with others on the forum for their picks and suggestions.
I'm still new.

Hi,
Thanks for the very detailed reply! I really appreciate it! Itā€™s not the sphere, instead itā€™s the cuboid. I understand about going round and round, makes me feel dizzy too haha. This is my tank (4g): https://biorb.com/en-US/aquariums/flow/
I do like the idea of shrimp, however I just love the personality that comes with Bettas. Again, thank you!

Can the filter be removed? I'd be tempted to take everything out, put in a layer of black substrate suitable for shrimp, and fill it with real plants. The light system looks great and although there isn't much room a small internal filter could work. This would work well for shrimp but IMO it's on the small side for even the smallest of fish.
Is there a heater in this tank? If not that would reinforce the shrimp suggestion.

Can the filter be removed? I'd be tempted to take everything out, put in a layer of black substrate suitable for shrimp, and fill it with real plants. The light system looks great and although there isn't much room a small internal filter could work. This would work well for shrimp but IMO it's on the small side for even the smallest of fish.
Unfortunately not, I wouldā€™ve removed it already if I could have. Itā€™s a bit of a pain. It does have a heater however. I thought it was a bit small myself, but I thought for a Betta by himself it could work if done correctly. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
I've watched YouTube videos where they replace the media with big sheets of sponge but I've never tried it.
I agree it's unsuitable for betta because of the media rocks but also space for the larger plakats.
I don't think shrimp would multiply as the young are likely to get sucked into the under-gravel filter system.
Safest thing is plants and a few nano fish.

I've watched YouTube videos where they replace the media with big sheets of sponge but I've never tried it.
I agree it's unsuitable for betta because of the media rocks but also space for the larger plakats.
I don't think shrimp would multiply as the young are likely to get sucked into the under-gravel filter system.
Safest thing is plants and a few nano fish.
Ah okay. Thank you. Iā€™ll try and find that video. To be honest, if it is completely unsuitable for a Betta, and even possible shrimp as their young will get sucked under, Iā€™ll probably dismantle it- I donā€™t think Iā€™d find too much joy in keeping nanos as for their lack of personality aha. Again, thanks for the replies!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back