Bio wheels

Jeffro, you really shouldn't have to change them unless they get damaged somehow. Then you would change the wheel and leave an old filter cartrudge in the filter until the new wheel was seasoned.

I agree with everything said here about the Bio-Wheel filters. I've got an Emperor 280 on my 29g, and I love it. Don't have and Penguins right now. The Emperor models use spray bars to help power the Bio-Wheels. The Penguin bio-wheels are spun by the water flowing through the filter right?

My emperor has a spray bar, but it can get clogged, so you have to keep an eye on it. It's easy to clean though.

Thanks Greatlakes.....i have had the same wheel for 1 1/2 years and it's still in great shape! Well seasoned too. lol:D

When I read Great Lakes post regarding this topic it seemed that it was if the bio wheel concept was new to many. I have old catalogs from the early 90's and bio wheels are all over the pages.

Has there been some sort of recent change or improvement?

I personally like all the benefits of the powered and unpowered bio wheels but I have never sought one out myself because I did not want to hang one off the top/back of my tank, plus I felt that evaporation would increase. I have enough trouble with evaporation in my salt tank

Limpet said:
When I read Great Lakes post regarding this topic it seemed that it was if the bio wheel concept was new to many. I have old catalogs from the early 90's and bio wheels are all over the pages.
Has there been some sort of recent change or improvement?
Its a global forum and here in the UK we seem to be a bit behind! ;)

Its amazing that bio wheels have not been introduced in the UK. I find that unbelievable. I was looking in an old pet warehouse magazine from 1996 and see that the emperor 400 bio wheel was out way back then. that means they have been out for atleast 7 years.Well I run a emperor 400 and cant be more happy with it. It has a wonderful feature that provides you with extra slots in which to insert extra filtration comes with extra refillable containers to add a variety of different filtration. Excellent product. It also claims to pump 400 GPH. MArineland seems to have quality filtration at very good prices.

hmm, this is all very intresting to me... i am after all a noob.. I want to have a successful tank and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about it.

I have a 55 gallon tank, I'll be having trop. fish (not sure what kind yet) and dwarf frogs.. fake plants

I have been throughing this around with Great Lakes a little in my other post but I think it might get more traffic here.

My question is, what is the best way to go for my 55 gallon tank. Right now I have the filter that came with the tank (Whisper Power Filter :look: )

GL suggested I go with a canister system and a bio-wheel,

I am also open to undergravel systems, but im assuming that there arent many fans of those here. I havnt seen any posts about them.

lmk what you all think :thumbs:

Ugfs were ok in there day but have been made all but obsolete by more modern types of filtration,external cannister filters are the best way to go as any maintainance can be done with minimal upset to the tank and fish and can hold a wide variety of medias.I dont know about bio wheels as theyre not available in the UK yet but everyone across the pond seems to like them so they must be good. :)

Oops didnt realise this was in the pinned section can someone move it to Doohics question about filters please? :D

ok, thanks cfc.. Im pretty positive that I will go against the undergravel system, and I'll look into the canister filters more.

I just need to decide on what one. And if the price is right I would like to go with a bio wheel system.

Scratch that all out,,, GL has found me a good deal and I think im gonna go with it.. thanks :p

Most reactions

Back