Bettas??

jhelen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of getting a small tank/bowl for a betta

I have never had them before but after seeing them in the fish shop they are quite lovely, and I feel sorry for them being kept in teeny tiny jars until they are sold

Anyway are they easy to look after? What is the minimum bowl/tank to have? Do you just keep one??

many thanks
J

hi, glad you're thinking about getting bettas and i'm sure you wont' be disappointed about them!

Please check out the pinned article at the top of this forum for the general basic guidelines for a betta.

IMO, they should be kept in a tank minimum of 1G, they won't need aeration, but filtration is always a plus if you can do it. Other detials such as their perferred water temperature, diet and things lik ethat can be found in that pinned article :) if you have any other questions feel free to ask :D

OK i've had a look

I take it I have to cycle the tank as normal??Also is it the best thing to just have one on its own?? Will it be OK?

ONLY ONE male is alowed in a tank without a seperator.
Female on the other hand are different.

jhelen said:
OK i've had a look

I take it I have to cycle the tank as normal??Also is it the best thing to just have one on its own?? Will it be OK?
You definately want to keep it on its own if its a male. And don't keep a male and female together either. I believe females can be kept together if you have a large enough tank.

yes, male bettas must be kept clear from other male bettas. Assuming that you keep in a 1g you might find it very hard to cycle. I just do two water changes every week wtih my 1.5G betta tanks and they seem to be okay like that.

If you do go for a igger tank (5G or something), then you might be able to put in some tankmates, but note that you have to be very careful if you wnat to put another fish in with the male betta becuase it can get aggressive. Guppies, gouramis won't work...otos, ADFs, and ohter bottom feeders seem to go okay with them.

mandi said:
jhelen said:
OK i've had a look

You definately want to keep it on its own if its a male. And don't keep a male and female together either. I believe females can be kept together if you have a large enough tank.
large enough tank being a min of 10G for females :)

Bettas are pretty sturdy fish. If you keep him in an unfiltered tank, just make sure the water changes equal 1 gallon per week.

Most reactions

Back