Betta's 'fused' tail tip

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

O

On_a_dishy

Hello! Jarvis's tail is still dark and 'fused' at the tip (photos are from his epsom salt dip yesterday and in his tank this morning (it's a reflection on the right, not another betta!)
34l fluval tank - no other inhabitants now that I've moved the ADFs
Regular twice weekly (or more) water changes
Nitrate 15 mg/l
Nitrite 0
GH >14d
Carbonate hardness between 0 and 3d
pH 7.2
He has been dosed twice for finrot (Interpet) in the past 2 weeks and he had an epsom dip yesterday (3 teaspoons to 1 litre of dechlorinated water).
He seems annoyed by his tail; he's been laying against the filter and trying to spread it over plants, but then he has always enjoyed doing that.
He is eating very well - he had his betta pellets this morning, and a pea last night. However, yesterday morning he wasn't interested in the bloodworms.
How do I help him? Can I manually stroke his tail to separate the little bits?

Attachments

• IMG_7999.jpg
    IMG_7999.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7995.jpg
    IMG_7995.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 32
I don't really know what I'm supposed to see. To me, it looks as if he's stressed from being whipped in and out of his tank for different treatments and sharing his tank with frogs. Give him time to re grow his shredded fins and plenty of hiding spots with in his tank. Veiltale bettas usually have a drooping look to their fins and he looks to have lost a good half of his finage

That dark tip of clumping tail on the right is what I was hoping people would see - it's more obvious from the salt bath photo.
I think you're definitely right about the ADFs - they seemed to be getting along great but when I removed them Jarvis inched his way around the tank as if looking for them, and he seems a lot more chilled now.
I've turned the pump off for a bit to give him a break from the flow.
How sure are you that his tail curl is not bacterial or wouldn't benefit from treatment of any kind? I'm happy to leave him, but I'm equally happy to dose him! He was only removed from his tank for yesterday's salt dip; the fin-rot treatment went into the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_8044.jpg
    IMG_8044.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 29
That dark tip of clumping tail on the right is what I was hoping people would see - it's more obvious from the salt bath photo.
I think you're definitely right about the ADFs - they seemed to be getting along great but when I removed them Jarvis inched his way around the tank as if looking for them, and he seems a lot more chilled now.
I've turned the pump off for a bit to give him a break from the flow.
How sure are you that his tail curl is not bacterial or wouldn't benefit from treatment of any kind? I'm happy to leave him, but I'm equally happy to dose him! He was only removed from his tank for yesterday's salt dip; the fin-rot treatment went into the tank.
I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot just yet, monitor it, but it could be as simple as missing fin or clamping from stress. Just keep him in his tank and keep the water clean. Thought I'd add that I'd advise staying away from chemicals to treat fin rot unless its the last straw after other treatments. Usually adding a tablespoon of aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of water does the trick, alongside big daily water changes. I keep betta's myself and have realised over time just how easy it is for bettas to get fin rot, especially pet shop bettas. They're so genetically weak that they can be a tricky fish to keep at times. Just keep the water pristine, as many plants as possible and monitor him closely. The active fungus should disappear and soon you should start seeing transparent growth

Thank you - I have some aquarium salt and will add it to his water change today :)

Thank you - I have some aquarium salt and will add it to his water change today :)
@Colin_T Has posted plenty of times for salt treatment, I'd have a look for it and follow his instructions as he's explained it better than I can :rofl: remember not to keep your betta in salt for more than two weeks as it can damage their organs and lead to dropsy. With how fragile they are it happens, I've done it

Most reactions

trending

Back