Bettas and Danios

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

james..

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have my betta with 4 danios (3M, 1F) in a 5 gallon (17ltr) tank with a few real plants.

Everynow and then I see my danio chase over and nip at my bettas fins - will this stop do you think? (I have only had him for 1 day)

I noticed that my danios did this to my snails but after a while they seemed to stop nipping at their feelers.

Also, how do I actully feed my betta(?) because everytime I try my danios nip up and eat the food.

I had my betta in with 3 tiger barbs once.(stupid petstores) Anyways, the feeding problem occured to me also. I could only get around this by feeding both at the same time with to different foods. I would give the barbs flake and the betta pellets. I would drop the pellets when the others were not around. It was kinda fun feeeding him one pellet at a time too. As far as the danios, Im not sure about their reputation as fin nippers but keep an eye on them. If your betta is aggresive though, your danios will learn to hide instead of attack. :flex:

Danios can be REALLY bad with Bettas. I know this from experience.

Here's Steve a few weeks back.
Look, isn't he happy!!!

stevethebetta2.jpg

I noticed my danios were nippy towards him and I was trying to think of a solution. Then one morning I woke up to find this...

poorsteve.jpg

Your danios may stop, I thought mine would but.. well, you can see for yourself what happened...

Hmm, Ok I will go pick up a 1 gallon tank/bowl for him then.

HeatherSweetness said:
OMG ladynaoko,how is Steve now?? Poor thing. :-( I hope he's allright.
he's still in a bad way :(
He's more active now and he's started eating like a horse again though... so he's on his way to recovery. His fins are looking slightly better but it's gonna take a while :-(

ladynaoko said:
HeatherSweetness said:
OMG ladynaoko,how is Steve now?? Poor thing. :-( I hope he's allright.
he's still in a bad way :(
He's more active now and he's started eating like a horse again though... so he's on his way to recovery. His fins are looking slightly better but it's gonna take a while :-(
sorry to hear about your bettas, you are so lucky that you had the option of returning your danios. I am stuck with keeping my bettas and danios together until my other tank is cycled :X

Most reactions

Back