Betta with White Growth Under Scale

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Uberhoust

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi All:

I have an otherwise healthy female betta on which I noted a white growth under a scale near her tail. She has been removed from her home aquarium just in case and I am setting up a 10 gallon to put her in.

Parameters:
pH 6.4
NH3 0.0
NO2 0.0
NO3 15.0 ppm
dGH <= 2.0
temp 25 C

She is from a 60 Gal. Community tank. All other occupants have been in the tank for at least a year.

Brief examination of the tail under the microscope showed a white mass with a smooth surface with small veins showing near the surface. There was a extremely thin string of material, less than a hair diameter, associated with it but it looked more like a bit of fish mucus other than anything else. The string of material was clearly not a nematode or other type of worm and wasn't moving in anyway, and may not be associated with the growth. The growth appeared to start below the scale and is now pushing the one scale up. My biggest concern was that the growth was an ich Trophont, but I haven't seen those under a microscope nor could I find any good images on the internet. The fish is eating well, often displays her fins, and otherwise doesn't behave like she is ill or suffering. We have had this particular fish for 2 months, with its first month in quarantine. Because of the quarantine and the behavior of the fish I don't believe this to be ich but will be watching carefully.

The photos unfortunately are from a normal camera.

Looking for any idea as to what this is so that I could treat her effectively. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-27 184715.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-27 184715.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1109-23.jpg
    IMG_1109-23.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 41
Interesting thought. It looks like it is growing under the scale in front but if the scale behind suffered some trauma, somehow pulled out then it might look that way, especially if the exposed skin swelled.

That would imply some event, either with one of the community members or something in the environment.

White "growth" still there but betta otherwise seems healthy. She is back in the community tank doing well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back