Betta With Mark On His Head?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PGL

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just need a little help figuring out what to do about a weird mark I found on my betta.

Today I noticed a little white-ish mark on the top of his head, it's like a little circle. It's pretty small and doesn't look fluffy yet. I have been reading through different threads online and was thinking it might be a few different things (columnaris, the hole in the head thing?) but I'm not sure. I'm even thinking he might've just got himself wedged between something in his tank and lost a scale because he is pretty active and seems to play around the filter a lot.

He's in a 15L filtered tank with silk plants and a heater, although because I live in Australia the temperature stays at about 27C (?80F) without the heater switching itself on. I don't know the tank parameters, my LFS just said they were ok. I ordered a test kit online not thinking I would need it urgently, so still waiting for that to arrive. I do water changes at least on a weekly basis, usually about 40%. His fins looked a bit torn, but I think he was ripping them on one silk plant so I removed it.

His behaviour is still normal and he's eating well (super hungry if anything). I tried to get a decent photo but couldn't manage it, plus he kept flaring and getting a bit annoyed by the camera :)

My main question is, is there anything I can do when he still seems healthy just in case it does turn out to be columnaris or something ugly? Or should I wait and see what happens... After reading some threads I thought maybe some aquarium salt, but I haven't used this before :/ Also should I order any medications online just in case, my LFS is a bit limited.

Sorry for all the writing but hopefully I haven't missed anything important. I'd be grateful for any advice :)

:hi:

Thank you for a detailed post.

Does the white patch look like bleaching beneath the skin?
Does the white patch having any red, or pink areas to the patch. Like a pink, or red, outline, Or a pink or red centre?

Thanks for the reply!

It looks more on the surface or like the scales might be grey? It's got an outline of grey with his normal blue-black colour in the middle. No other colours, pink red or anything. I might be being a bit paranoid but I was worried it might turn into something nasty.

Sorry I know it would be easier if I could get a decent picture and will keep trying but they are just all very fuzzy.

Just keep a close eye on the mark on the head, signs of white edging around scales, as this can by a symptom of columnaris.

For now I would maybe suggest preforming a few daily water changes.

Good Luck.

Hey, so just an update. The mark on his head is clearing up nicely, thankfully! I think he must have bumped it after all. But I just got my test kit and the one I'm concerned about is the pH which looks like it's 8.0? How much of a problem will this be and are there ways I can lower it? Are chemicals my only option? I had a quick look online but I'm not sure how reliable most info is...

Thanks in advance :)

Hey, so just an update. The mark on his head is clearing up nicely, thankfully! I think he must have bumped it after all. But I just got my test kit and the one I'm concerned about is the pH which looks like it's 8.0? How much of a problem will this be and are there ways I can lower it? Are chemicals my only option? I had a quick look online but I'm not sure how reliable most info is...

Thanks in advance :)
you can add 100% lime juice, or lemon juice, or pure white vinegar if you want to not use chemicals, they are all very acidic and wont change the color of the water, acidic being the opposite of basic, the acidity will lower the ph

my cichlids like a high ph but i use lime juice to get rid of calcium deposits on my tank when i water change incase any drips in, i know the new water will put the ph back where it needs to be

What is your tap PH.

You can lower PH by adding bogwood to a tank. Or run some peat in your filter.

The tap water is the same pH as well. Thanks, I will try one of those solutions to see if I can fix it. Not that he seems too bothered anyway :)

How is the fish?
Any signs of improvement?

Yep he's all better, the mark has completely gone now. Just replaced all his silk plants with live ones too so he seems very happy. Thanks for your advice :good:

:good:
Thank you for the update.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back